Dark Claw And Other Legends



Okay, not quite.


But last week I read through two 2010 comic book collections focusing on Batman and Wolverine, and I considered the "Amalgam Comics" character DC and Marvel Comics created in 1996 by merging the two's backgrounds and powers, a gentleman known as Dark Claw whom you do NOT want to encounter in a dark alley unless you're not guilty of the crime you're being chased down for. Neither Batman nor Wolverine themselves, I imagine.


When you hear the word legend today, please think of the legend on a map.

Grant Morrison and Tony S. Daniel on Batman: R.I.P. (ISBN 9781401225766) brings the Caped Crusader up against an uber-rich group of villains called the Black Glove, and the head of that organization shows up as someone who's known Batman and that he's really Bruce Wayne for several decades and uses falling crime rates to bring him down and make him feel irrelevant, and thereby susceptible to his new foes' control. So Batman reverts to a backup identity, and that's the beginning!


It is strang as all get out when you can say the Joker is saner than you are.


I'd heard about Mark Millar and Steve McNiven's Wolverine: Old Man Logan (ISBN 9780785131724) for years and finally got it at a major discount, so I read it through. Set fifty years after the great supervillain massacre of nearly all the heroes, Logan who vowed after one incident to never "snikt" his claws again gets drawn across a postapocalyptic USA to make a delivery that could change everything. And how much has changed already.


Even for Marvel and DC's sliding timescales, Wolverine doesn't get that weaker as he ages.


And now to the weekend on my own Earth. Saturday soon after Martha got home from working at Burger King -- yes I know she's working the second job and I want to get her out of that after I start my new one (whatever it is, I interviewed this morning for one and have another interview Wednesday!) as soon as possible -- we headed to the Vegas motel for some friends' fiftieth wedding anniversary celebration. I asked that what their secret was for staying together that long.

In Jacque's words, work together always.


Before she got home I brought the kids with me to the Building A Better World Festival in the City Auditorium and we walked around to different booths for various community organizations and even grabbed some lunch, and the small amount Sarah, Jeffrey, and I paid for that supports a local theatre production of Alice In Wonderland. Jeffrey got and sported proudly so many rubber bracelets from there too. And I even found out a little more about Kalix where I'll interview Wednesday.


Oh, today I interviewed for a full-time courier position with Trinity, Martha's old job.


Sunday after church for which I bought a red tank top so I'd have something red to wear for Pentecost (I wore my jacket over it until the service was done) the four of us went to newly-opened Marco's Pizza for an afternoon of free music, free pizza, and drawings. Their barbecued chicken pizza is TERRIFIC, but I know I'll have to get that for myself as Martha, Sarah, and Jeffrey can't stand onions. And the kids have officially outgrown the bouncy castles.


Nuts to that,


David











Comments

Popular Posts