Superman Should Have Taken That Left Turn at Albuquerque!

As Superman fights ... I suddenly realize ... The crowd is changing.


One of the books I got to finish during my three-day weekend (for those non-Americans in my viewing audience, the first Monday of September is Labor Day, a federal holiday typically celebrated ... well, at least with most workplaces being closed. Though Martha DID have to go into Burger King for a few hours last night.) was a book about the history of Superman. In real life, not a DC comics origin story. And the real-world story of Superman, the first comic book superhero who in his early years was able -- by either his creators or his marketers -- to sue practically everyone else who touched the thought of creating a superhero. It gets sick, and that's just one part of the (as of 2012, the publication date on Larry Tye's Superman: The High-Flying History of America's Most Enduring Hero, ISBN 9781400068661) story of the last son of Krypton and how he's been represented in well nigh every medium imaginable. Seventy-five years is a long time.


Watching something they thought they would never see again.


Oh, today's quotes between the paragraphs come courtesy not of that book but rather an October 2009 story, "Night And Day" from Superman/Batman issue 63. Plotted by Michael Green and Johnson, art by Rafael Albuquerque ... ok, I could go on all day about comic books, but what's happening in our household is far more relevant, or at least you my readers should find far more interesting. My conspiratorial wink. Saturday and Monday the kids and I didn't have anywhere to do, so unusual for us -- Martha had to work Saturday at Burger King which is job #2 for her (job #1 with Trinity is five days a week like mine, and job #2 now is three days) -- we stayed home and had fun with it. Saturday afternoon I had to replace two light bulbs in our bathroom and Jeffrey practically begged me to let him do it. So I got out of his way, he climbed on top of the sheets we had on top of the dryer (and I was there watching the whole thing, don't worry) and screwed in and out two light bulbs.


A dream long forgotten, but now ... A dream returning to life.


Our kids learn to do what needs to be done themselves versus Mom or Dad doing them, they will not only be better off than I was at their ages of nine for Sarah and eight for Jeffrey, they'll take the world by storm -- especially their own corners of it! So watch out. Sad that I don't remember as much ... wait a minute, Saturday before Martha got home I had the kids play in the backyard while I was baking some Reese's bars. Yes, you heard that right, ME baking! They came out pretty well, and Sarah helped spread the peanut butter mix on top while I did the chocolate but super Super SWEET! But in the years since Martha and I got married -- found the VHS tape of our wedding from 2003, and one thing we must do is transfer it to DVD -- I've really gotten handy around the house and I assure you the kids don't starve when I'm there with them. If nothing, they're getting to be a wee bit stout (but nothing serious, they will grow out of it)!


We didn't need him back for his strength or powers.


Martha's parents should be back today from last week's Disabled American Veterans reunion in Albuquerque. Besides being the fastest growing city in New Mexico and the 32nd largest city in the United States, it's also the place where Bugs Bunny in the older AND BETTER cartoons emerges from his rabbit hole and laments not making that left turn and ends up how many different places? Oh well. Sunday was church, of course, the last service where both congregations (the 8:30 and 10:45 services) are likely to meet together as Bethany Lutheran will go back to its two-service schedule next Sunday. I read a little more passionately than I usually do (I think) and three pews were filled with the family and friends of a three-month old who was baptized with not only the cross drawn in water upon his forehead but also with the -- if I'm getting this wrong, please forgive me -- sage burned for a Native American blessing.


We didn't need him back to fight for us.


The kids napped Saturday without me pressuring them to, for they were tired from helping me clean and we will be keeping clean the main floor of our house; Sunday after church and fellowship downstairs we spent some time with Mary and then headed to a yard sale where we got quite a few bargains (including for me a box of books for two bucks; I still have to go through them). Alas, there were so many bees around that one of them got on Sarah's left thigh and stung her! Yow! How it hurts to see our little girl (or our little boy, I say and they both top off at our shoulders right now, 55 inches = 139.7 centimeters) cry because she's hurt, no matter the reason. But we have gotten the swelling down, and over the rest of the day Sunday we just sat back, Sunday watched Big Hero 6 while dining on Totino's pizza after an afternoon of playing the board game Aggravation which I haven't done since I was a kid ... fantastic weekend, and I've not told have of what I saw and did.


We needed Superman back to remind us ... That nothing is impossible.


David

Comments

Popular Posts