Share The Milk And Cookies, Scouts!

The Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus.


This is one of the books I bought at a local thrift store last week, and the person who rang me up asked me to tell her what I thought of it. Well, Santa Claus himself didn't write it (that I'm aware; this 2003 book, ISBN 1885228654, was published by the WALK THE TALK Company out of Dallas via four collaborating authors) but the chapter headings and the descriptions of basic leadership principles that we so often hear touted -- today's title is chapter six -- are presented with the Christmas trappings and personnel, elves and reindeer and the like, and the sheer magnitude of a worldwide operation (which I'm sure few of us will ever be called upon to manage) that reduces Santa in "his" own words to two roles: Santa the MANAGER and Santa the LEADER.


And we can do this too. On the subject of leadership, as of about, eh, eight pm CST time you are talking to the Co-Bear Leader for Jeffrey's Cub Scout den! In essence, Matt had been leading the den (this is important, the dens are in the pack, the packs are in the troop) for a few years already and Jeffrey's den was getting so big -- right now there's fifteen registered, twelve of them showed up last night and apparently two were new -- that he needed help and no one else was stepping up! Seemed like I was hearing nothing but criticism due to lack of information getting to everybody ... and honestly, Martha and I have had the same beef. So we were able to get the Bear Den meetings

(also important, badge order goes Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Webelo 1, Webelo 2/Arrow of Light, then Boy Scouts) set from 7:15 to 8:15 pm the first two Tuesdays of every month, then our pack meeting's the fourth Tuesday which starts at seven that night. I think Jeffrey is very happy that I signed up, now I just need to pass the background check, which I should! In any event, I think knowing that motivated our son to set a high goal for this year's Trail's End popcorn sales to support Scouting, which will run here from October 1 to November 3. And after Jeffrey and I left the church across from Longfellow where all the Scout meetings will be this year (at least the pack meetings, some den meetings too),


we picked up Sarah at my in-laws' house where she'd been since school was out. Hard to not see their cousin Josceline there, but a few weeks ago she and her mom Margaret moved into a second-story place of their own, so when no kids or grandkids are there it's just Robert and Sharon. And it's better that way for all our sakes! FINALY got caught up on signing the kids' planners where they write down what they do during the day and Martha or I initial it at the bottom and the kids who are way more used to using computers for most of their assignments than we are I got to school this morning. This morning I had to drop something off in the front office -- I trusted one of the kids to do it, but they asked me to -- and I met and spoke with Longfellow's new principal, Mrs. Arlien

(pronounced ARLENE) and even got to see the staff at Longfellow -- pictures at least -- who Jeffrey and Sarah and Josceline refer to but I would likely not recognize outside an open house (and probably still won't at the open house, but I digress). It's a good thing to match names to faces, even though Minot isn't as small a community as it used to be. And on this first day of fall I opine that all this construction going on could be for widening streets and replacing old sewer lines and pick an explanation the City of Minot gives you any given day is actually for building a dome that the city will be kept inside. Sounds like a Stephen King idea, but the more I see the more I wonder do we really need all the work that's being done, especially since oil prices are dropping like a brick. Unlike my blood sugar, I noticed today.


Read on! Lead on!


David   

Comments

Popular Posts