Oh, That's Smart!

Fourteen years ago ...


Psalm 46:8-11                                                           September 1
Georg on ship; Yuans in China                                 10109.01


Be still, and know that I am God:
I will be exalted among the heathen,
I will be exalted in the earth.
The Lord of hosts is with us,
the God of Jacob is our refuge. 10-11


With the start of a new month, I'd better start being honest with myself. It's not the bank's fault I don't have enough money; it's not my employer's fault if my job is too hard; it's not anyone's fault that I fail to act but mine. I need a new commitment, one where I am forced to live up to my obligations or I will not be accepted or liked or loved because I can't be trusted to come through. The goals I have must not only be worthy of me, they must also be worthy of God. I don't get a holiday from life.


[Then at the bottom of the page, a prayer request for Bible School in Peradeniya, Sri Lanka and on the page following my review of Franklin Allen Leib's Behold A Pale Horse, and at the bottom of that page a picture of child soldiers training and requests for the Durban (South Africa) conference and a positive account balance.]


And now ...

This morning I know Martha's parents Robert and Sharon left Telluride, Colorado for their reunion; specifically it's his reunion (Robert's a Navy veteran who served on the now-decommissioned USS Stoddard from 1966 to 1969) but Sharon as a member of Disabled American Veterans auxiliary knows a great many people there as well. I expect they will have a great time; since obviously they're not here to watch the grandkids I still go to their house to pick up the kids, but tonight Mary's there.


The New York Public Library's Books of the Century. Edited by Elizabeth Diefendorf. Illustrations by Diana Bryan. ISBN 01915108973


Based on a yearlong exhibit by said library (the one with the stone lions at the front gate) of the most affective literary works from 1895 when the Library was founded to 1995, out of these 175 works cited I've read 41. I think. I say these are the standouts, and not always for good reasons; and as I'd read one volume of Dos Passos' U.S.A. trilogy, the KJV and not the RSV of the Holy Bible, and a few Faulkner novels and stories -- I don't think anyone's read ALL of Faulkner -- that was number 41.


A Woman's Liberation. Edited by Connie Willis and Sheila Williams. ISBN 0446677426


And I am learning fast that Sarah is NOT a morning person. Even though both she and Jeffrey come down before seven in the morning to see Martha off to work (she works 7-4 at her Trinity job) and they're crashed on the couch by the time I wake up, and I warn them they will have to wake to MY alarm, they still do it. As we approach the second full week of school for them (and me who drives them there of course) Sarah and Jeffrey are "finding their groove".


Stoutenberg, Adrian. American Tall Tales. Illustrated by Richard M. Powers. ISBN 0140309284


Last night the three of us were sitting down to dinner and I asked the kids what they had been doing in class. Sarah told me about her teacher Mrs. Larson's ... interesting method of discipline. When she asks a student to not do something and they keep doing it a few times, they're kept in during recess and have to do said action for the whole time. One boy was twiddling his fingers and the other wiggled on the floor like a worm during recess time for this.


Hoff, Benjamin. The Tao of Pooh. ISBN 0140067477


And the day before the third third (the last four months of 2015? REALLY?) of the year, Jeffrey told me about how they're working on cursive writing in his (Mrs. Hoffer's, say with a long "o") class and in the gifted and talented class he sometimes participates in they're working on sixth- and seventh-grade vocabulary and on graphing with coordinates. Sarah says that class he's in is for smart people, but I reassure her that doesn't mean she isn't.


We're ALL smart, let no one tell you otherwise.


David


Comments

Popular Posts