Overnighter

I've heard nothing from or about the kids out camping with their grandparents since yesterday, but I still believe there's all right! I figure both Sarah and Jeffrey and Martha and I need some time out from under the same roof from each other, and this is good because we've got plenty of things we should be doing that for one reason or another don't get done when our children, though we love them, are in the house or nearby. Take last night, for instance.


After getting home from work and decompressing a little bit -- if you just go out right after you get off work (at least this is true of me) more often than not you're no good to nobody -- Martha and I went at her suggestion to Montana Mike's to eat, one of those steakhouses that's sprung up here in Minot in the wake of the oil boom. I had half a slab of baby back ribs and Martha enjoyed one of there pasta dishes, and for an appetizer we had their cheese-covered fries.


AND you get the dinner rolls there with cinnamon butter that a lot of fancier places offer. BUT be sure you order a soft drink or carbonated beverage if you want free refills; Martha learned this the hard way when she ordered raspberry iced tea and couldn't get a free refill on that. And normally we are not sports-watchers, but we got SO CAUGHT UP in the professional arm wrestling matches while we were eating, it was pretty funny!


We got some basic shopping done at Cashwise Foods and several times were getting in the way of one worker there with a dust mop -- really, we didn't mean it! -- and the fact that we went shopping after we ate helped us not to buy too much. I'll take that. We got home, we settled in, we relaxed, we ... the next morning, Martha headed for work and we woke up at about the same time. I finished another library book I had and checked out two more, but on my way in -- I love this,


I darn near swallowed a fly! (Now that I type that, I think of the old woman who swallowed a fly, and NO a spider was not lined up behind it ... I think.) I just about wasn't going to check anything else out; I mean, I bought four books at another library's used book sale yesterday, but then I met an older woman at the front desk who related that she had to turn in several books because she checked them out for she liked the covers but didn't get around to reading them.

I said I know just how she feels, David

Comments

Popular Posts