Of One Kind Or Another, Probably So

Sometimes I think the galaxy might be entirely populated by people with daddy issues.”
Of one kind or another, probably so,” I agreed.


NOW it's the opening theme from Star Wars I can't get out of my head – you know, the one you can't help breaking into humming when the logo appears onscreen. At least I can't; heck, I'm ready to do that whenever I see the 20th Century Fox logo at the beginning of a movie! After having finished one of the latest Star Wars novels to come out pre-The Force Awakens in December, Kevin Hearne's Heir to the Jedi (ISBN 9780345544858) I'm reasonably convinced the future (or the past? A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away …) is in competent if not – yet – hit it out of the ballpark hands. Though Luke with his lightsaber who's telling this story set two years after the Battle of Yavin (ABY to the familiar; for more details on that please Please PLEASE see the original Star Wars movie!) would likely just cut into a baseball or most anything else you hurled at him!


The familiar should appreciate the line from the novel I quote up top about “daddy issues”.


Remember what Luke does not know or at least has not heard from the lips behind that raspy Dark Lord mask pre-The Empire Strikes Back (for more details please Please PLEASE – heck, you get it!) … but back to my attempt at reality (it's an Adam Savage from Mythbusters moment, rejecting your reality and substituting my own), I got home last night with the kids and we ate from Burger King's distinguished competitor because I had to pick up Sarah first at my in-laws' house and then meet Jeffrey as his friend Nick's birthday party was getting out! It was certainly a thrill, so Jeffrey and Nick's mom told me in very few words .. that is, Jeffrey had the few words about busting a pinata with eleven other kids and then hamburgers and hot dogs. When I was on the way there with Sarah, it's amazing how much conversation I got out of her, very clipped and precise. And maybe mocking how I speak?


YES, I've felt like I was born in the wrong world … quite a lot lately. When two expert video game players receive an email that transports them to a world where everything is determined by games (the Ten Commandments are instead the Ten Covenants), the winners and the losers seem to make a much greater difference. Or do they? Yuu Kamiya and Mashiro Hiiragi's collaborative manga No Game No Life (English translation, ISBN 9781626920798) makes the prospect of change too tempting. Something that may even be out of God's hands (“God” in the story is the One who survived a massive godwar and instituted the Ten Covenants.) Though I have to confess, my God I have to wonder when He is ready to take us who believe on His Son out of this increasingly fallen and failing world … I want to believe He's not waiting until all of us dead to occupy the Earth.


One of my Daddy issues, David

Comments

Popular Posts