Where Has The Christmas Gone?



Last night after I got off work Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I met at our house and took off to view the annual Sertoma Christmas in the Park light show strewn through Oak Park from Thanksgiving through New Year's Eve by various businesses. Only cost five dollars to get in, and it's a nice drive. We had just paid and were on our way through the gate when Jeffrey noticed some of the gate lights were out, the ones that lit up to form "CHRISTMAS", prompting Jeffrey to ask us, "Where has the Christmas gone?" Well, the day comes back next December 25, but ... and let me be honest ... it didn't feel like the grand holiday tradition that is usually is, or perhaps I should say that our society has convinced us that it should be.

And I think we're better for it.

No, my age REALLY is not hitting me! Hard to believe as I look outside my office window at the mostly melted snow and the sun shining that our current calendar year ends tomorrow ... well, that it's ending. For December is the month that I've tried to take off everything outside of making a living and making a life. Lest you think that sounds like everything, it's really not -- I mean, I love to write books and I want to share a great opportunity with as many people as I can, but these are not the be-all and end-all of life ... though sometimes I may act that way. It makes me unrelatable (which is spelled right but it shows up as I type it with a red line under it, indicating it's spelled wrong, what's up with that?) when I act like they are, and it's hard to understand why some acquaintances do.

The LORD watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.

I had a co-worker tell me the other day she'd gotten a tattoo of this verse (Genesis 31:49) on her ankle, and it's set in a dog tag like the one her Air Force husband has. And it makes perfect sense; we can't physically be with those we love all the time, for then they would never have the chance to grow. But the LORD can, and even when we disagree with those we love, those we like, and sometimes those we just tolerate the continued existence of (!) we can act as though we are the children of God we were -- and are, for we are constantly in the growing process -- created to be. This can be done. I've done it. I'm still doing it. Oftimes I flub it horribly. That's when I repent, then come back, and try again. After all, I only ask God to give me this day my daily bread, don't I? 

David

Comments

Popular Posts