Without All The Razzle Dazzle

Without All The Razzle Dazzle

Just came out of the CAT scan, and it went well enough, thanks for the prayers! It's a lot less intimidating when you're 41 than when you're 5 -- the last time I had one.

THE DRIFT (ISBN 9781888963205)

I'm typing my blog entry today in WordPad and THEN moving it to OpenOffice because for some reason the OpenOffice at my workplace does not like cutting and pasting anything to an the social media I frequent. Ah well ... what you're reading above in italics is my latest status update; for you not paying attention (and don't worry about it if you're not) the last few days I got scheduled by the neurologist I've been assigned, a wizenly Chinese gentleman named Dr. Lee -- hmm, the last Dr. Lee I knew well was president of Stetson University when I went there in the early 90s ... got an obit entry on him somewhere -- for a CAT scan this morning and an EEG Thursday to check out why I'd gotten a seizure last year and quite possibly how to prevent future ones. And to be blunt, I was scared that I would be going in for this and not coming back out, what I joked about to one person later as I would be meeting God sooner than they would!

THE FIRE OF ST. GEORGE (ISBN 9781888963229)

And yes, the CAT scan for me was a lot less intimidating when I'm my age today than when I last remember having one! And a lot's changed with medical technology in thirty-six years ... I mean, today the tumor I had when I was five you can kill with radiation instead of draining fluid from it with a shunt. And in 1977 I certainly did not have type-2 diabetes, which I had to take a blood test for at Trinity this morning before they could do the CAT scan (but I'm off one med for forty-eight hours, so that's not too bad). Anyway, the weekend was I thought a relatively short one, and sometimes I need that. Martha at work Saturday, me ready to meet Martha for lunch with kids but taking them home because I did not like their language -- sounds prissy, but you have to do it now when they're young, just not moving that much Saturday, and Sunday we had church followed by our shopping for some essentials and an afternoon grilling (hot dogs).

ROMANCE AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT (ISBN 9781888963335)

And the kids got to play with water balloons as well; I thought they'd be having fun, but something apparently wasn't right. For Jeffrey, actually, the last few nights his stomach hasn't been right; just before he's gone to bed he's complained of stomach pain, and not all from him overstuffing himself at dinner! Last night we even had Sarah and Jeffrey rush down from bad dreams they were having -- Jeffrey's I don't recall, but Sarah had a dream I fell off the Veterans Memorial Bridge we were walking on a short time before (the best time I've had with my daughter in a while; we played hopscotch and walked through a semi-devastated neighborhood) saving her. Since I've typed this, it's a safe guess that dream did not come true ... but yes, I need to evaluate and remember who in real life I'd give my life for. Heck, my dream this weekend was enlisting in the Army in the middle of all this going on; why?

THE LOST JOURNALS OF NIKOLA TESLA (ISBN 9781888963328)

Part secret history, part film noir, part travelogue Jeff Smith's graphic novel RASL took me a couple of readings after I checked out the four volumes -- that's their titles I've interspersed between paragraphs today -- from Minot Public Library to get it, and I don't think I do. Here's the gist: a scientist rediscovered the journals of Nikola Tesla and with his childhood friend and fellow scientist begins to build a giant array that collects power directly from the atmosphere. Naturally, to build such an array you need funding, and at first Miles, Maya, and the man who'll become RASL has no problem getting it from them. But then there's some dangers, some planet-destroying dangers that they find but feel -- all but RASL, anyway -- are outweighed by the benefits. And now on the run from our world's military, the DHS, in order to raise ready cash and get back to his world, he's forced to become an interdimensional art thief. A good story.

But with all due respect to the creator of BONE, I'll see about topping it.

David



 

Comments

Popular Posts