What Can I Say, Going Up The Down Escalator?

So I got to work this morning and laying on the sidewalk right in front of the door was a picture of a fat white cat licking its lips. What first went through my mind was less savory than it turned out to be; I picked it up, got inside, counted my money (something to do with my current job), and found that this picture of a cat was actually the cover of a card. And inside that card it read, "Due to circumstances beyond our control, there will be no Birthday cake this year." Oh well …

I do not look for a deep meaning in it (especially since MY birthday is in December but my son Jeffrey's is next week), but it was funny. I had just brought Sarah and Jeffrey to Martha's parents' house for the day – I have to do that because both Martha and I work on weekdays – after dropping off some receipts at the Souris Valley United Way office to get reimbursed for our in-house rebuilding after the flood two years ago. And they had fun riding the escalator!

Okay, the office where I brought the receipts is on the first floor of a building with a Wells Fargo bank right above it, and – though Jeffrey calls it an elevator – the kids have fun going on it! And I make sure they don't get too crazy … but the son especially will try to go up the down escalator. Heck, the kids would have gone up or down the partition between the up and down escalators if I had not stopped them! There's so few indoor activities here lately that don't involve plugging in.

It's very hard to be unhappy while you're thinking happy thoughts. I'm hearing this from Joyce Meyer as I type this, and I've got to agree it works. I just need to make it work. In terms of my reading lately, I think it was Biography Weekend. The first weekend of summer (sorry guys, I did not get to see that supermoon) Harry Truman and Stephenie Meyer met in my head, and they were quite civil. If only I would be more civil outside my head and say less of what I think.

The Truman biography I read, A Pictorial Biography: HST (ISBN 0448031418) was released in 1973, the year after the thirty-third President's death, so it doesn't have a lot of "historical perspective" which I find a good thing. I've got plans when I exercise my playwright muscles in a few years for a series of plays based on the U.S. Presidents of the second half of the twentieth century – titled after their last names: Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, and Clinton.

Shakespeare's history plays got this idea running in my head, but don't worry, Elizabethan English will not fit in them. And I've got to admit, Lauri S. Scherer's biography of Stephenie Meyer (ISBN 9781420507614) impressed me more than I thought it would. I probably will not read the Twilight Saga myself in the near future – forgive me that, though her trilogy beginning with The Soul sounds interesting – but the face that any author can start from anywhere and still be disappointed …

… well, appoints me. (Whatever the opposite of "disappoint" is.) Besides, I've got the Progeny Cycle to – finally – finish. It all comes down to the editing, and when I wasn't playing Operation: Toy Story 3 with the family (Sarah has got the steadiest hand I've ever seen, that is NOT from me) or watching the VeggieTales movie Robin Good And His Not-So-Merry Men with Jeffrey and even doing the sing along I knocked out three chapters of that!

After church yesterday we started cooking chicken in barbecue sauce in our crock pot for six hours and boiling potatoes – it was too hot to go out for much and our air conditioner is … not quite functioning. Now we're trying to get out of the heat, and in winter we're trying to get out of the cold. Go figure.

David

Comments

Popular Posts