Hi, This Is Sue And I Need To Schedule An EEG!


I wasn't aware this line could be said quite so cheerfully as Dr. Lee's nurse said it this morning when I went to his office for my first neurology appointment in decades! For one reason or another – most often because I though it pointless – in the year since my last seizure an appointment had never been scheduled, and at my last visit to Dr. Kundeti at UND I had an appointment set up for me with a neurologist for a month from today. At nine-twenty this morning I got a phone call after Martha had left for work and I'd napped on the couch as the kids were with Grandma Sharon and Josceline on their way to Bismarck to pick up Breanna (for good this time!), and an appointment with Dr. Lee the neurologist had been canceled so I could get bumped up on the schedule if I came in right away. And I did. Found I'd gained back some unwelcome weight – which I will lose again, I promise you – and got scheduled as well for a cat scan and an EEG next week.
 
 


Kinda a load off my mind, but it is a pain to remember how much of each medicine I take in a day to make up for the doctors' refusal to share this information, for some goofy reason. But away from my grumbling, this weekend we spent the time that we weren't at church Sunday morning (where I got to read and the first chapter of Galatians has really stuck with me; I must review the whole letter) and Martha wasn't working at McDonald's Saturday morning getting either the work done making our house look more livable, which we did by gathering all the detritus that our contractor and electrician and we had left behind our house and bagging it up after TWO YEARS, or simply relaxing inside our house. Once in a while you do need to do that too.
 
 


The governor of New Mexico and presidential candidate Arcadia Alvarado believes in UFOs because she's been abducted by one. She believes. Such is the premise of the Paul Cornell and Ryan Kelly comic collection Saucer Country: Run (ISBN 9781401235499) and with the help of a select few on her staff and an outcast professional from Harvard, Governor Alvarado is determined to get to the bottom of this – a possible alien invasion (the science fiction kind, not the illegals) that dovetails right into the near-future of the United States … I don't often see stories set in New Mexico, and the fact that I looked at the blurb for this collection and thought, “Crap! Why didn't I think of this?” made me want to pick it up and have fun with it. And read it again – got to do that before I return the library book!



Then we descend back into the real – or at least more familiar fictional – world with Batman: Under The Hood (ISBN 1401207561) by Judd Winick and Doug Mahnke. The Caped Crusader (hey, outside of the Super Friends cartoon, does that name even get used for Batman anymore?) in Gotham City finds a new player in town, a gentleman by the name of Red Hood who … at first, it's hard to tell whether he's a new hero or new criminal, for he's eluding everyone with equal aplomb. For those familiar with Batman's history, the Red Hood is the original alias of the Joker (oh, and the title of this collection shares its name with the meta-fictional autobiography of the first Nite Owl from Watchmen) and though that's NOT who he turns out to be, who he is equally unnerves Batman.






But who, you will have to read and find for yourself! Stay awesome, David

Comments

Popular Posts