I Am Not Pan!

At least last time I checked, I didn't have goats' legs from the waist down. But the Greek god of mischief whose story gets humorously told and illustrated in Mordicai Gerstein's book I Am Pan! (ISBN 9781626720350) is a terrific and easy read. Who says all myth has to be challenging, particularly this blended tale of Hermes' son who was ... the most fun of the Greek gods, who dwelt in  Arcadia after he proved too much for them but did lend them his help in defeating Typhon (the mountain Zeus dropped on him explains volcanoes, and the sounds Pan makes when he's disturbed are called "panic" in his honor) as well as proved to be the best musician in the world, to himself.

At least I make no claim to being the best singer, for I know my wife Martha abhors my attempts at it. We finished out State Fair week and between that and working at the warehouse ... Thursday when we got home with dinner I was too tired to eat, I had to take a nap first! Friday we took in the Fair a last time after getting off work at the same time (more on less) and when Martha and I tried to sneak in for some last bites of fair food -- the kids were with their cousin Josceline and her mom -- we happened to come in the same entrance as they were at watching a trampoline show. Jeffrey's peal of "There's my mom!" gave the game away.

Saturday morning while Martha was at work our nephew Patrick, his friend Donovan, and my father-in-law Robert came out to help cut a branch hovering dangerously close to our power line. The kids and I were able to finish the job they started as we should ... and I meant what I said, I really don't think Martha, Sarah, or Jeffrey would care if I fell off a chair or a ladder while I was doing it. Sunday after church we and Margaret and Josceline took in nine holes of golf at Wee Links Golf Course in town. We'd split into two teams of three with Margaret winning her set and Martha hers. We had to go to Sears and Walmart and in both places someone asked me where something was.

Which made me wonder how many places I work at here in Minot that I don't know about . . . meh, today at work beginning my fifth week, I've been counting third floor nursery and obstetrics and driven the delivery truck for the first time. Considering that 1) I've never driven a truck before -- it actually wasn't much bigger than the work van, it's learning to back it up to unload it that tested my patience and 2) I'm reminded how steep the learning curve is when everything gets thrown at you at once, I'm doing better at Trinity Materials Management than I thought I would by now. Even when that elephant on roller skates comes back into the room.

Which is now more of a warthog,

David

Comments

Popular Posts