Am I Staring At This?

This is one phrase I've been saying a lot to myself at my new job, and I'm trying to cure myself of it.

After I'm at Trinity Hospital counting the medical supplies, we make a delivery of them after "picking" them at the warehouse where I report to work. It's not necessarily hard so much as hard to remember where to put the supplies we pick. But for the most part everyone I've worked with and asked questions of there has been extraordinarily helpful, in my own department of Materials Management as well as the occasional searching doctor, nurse, or other Trinity employee.

Nobody wants to see anyone fail. I think.

And if these descriptions of what I'm doing sound a little vanilla to you my reader, please bear with me . . . it's my fourth week at a new job, and often it feels like I'm acquiring an entirely different skill set than I did. That, and I'm taking many more naps for even though I get off (usually, according to whether I'm in the middle of a pick or a delivery with others -- about a dozen at the warehouse alone) work earlier than I did at Fast Cash, I also start earlier as well.

I have a new appreciation for how Martha feels at night after coming home.

Oh. As in the exclamation indicating I did not know that or did not know to that this way and not the way I see going from point A to B and through the rest of the alphabet. I've been saying that a lot too, and I suspect I will continue to do so. I suspect our niece Breanna who as I write this is now on her way to beginning a new chapter of her life with her fiancé Keith and her daughter Avery in Ohio will be encountering the same learning curve moving away from her friends and family here in Minot.

I want and I pray for them to succeed wherever they are.

Some, I don't see wanting that as much. But as we cannot ignore the prime directive on a twenty-one year old's life and hold her in North Dakota against her will any more than my family and friends could have held me in Florida when I was thirty, there are already enough regrets and roads not taken in our lives no matter how much we excel. I don't want the junior bridesmaid from mine and Martha's wedding -- we felt "maid of honor" was inappropriate to call a then-seven-year-old -- tied back.

And not be staring at a possibility for something greater,

David


Comments

Popular Posts