You can kiss me while I'm peeling an egg.


Oh, if I must.



But seriously, I'm really proud of Martha for sticking to a metabolic change diet and her commending herself for losing weight between Sunday and today. (Right, like I'm going to post how much. I want to live -- I've spent my whole life doing it.) She's been preparing food several days ahead of time and today's title comes from her peeling some boiled eggs and having time to do it by NOT hitting the snooze button many times!


Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.


I would love to say American humorist -- some would say American realist -- Mark Twain stole that from me, but I'd worry if you bought that. In the 1961 collection Mark Twain: Wit & Wisecracks which looks to me like something you'd find in a Hallmark store. Hey, maybe I could give this out for graduation instead of some rah-rah-sis-boom-bah trope that you have your whole life ahead of you and make it a good one!


I'd like to think you know that already. 

Now on the single digits regarding her days at Longfellow Elementary, Sarah had her last band practice yesterday morning and Monday night was part of the fifth grade band in concert at Ramstad Middle School along with sixth graders at said school. I was able to leave work early to get to the concert and enjoyed it! Sharon Martha's mom I remember said that being able to only get to the kids' programs when they were ending -- as usual due to my job schedule -- is a bad thing.


A bad thing that will not be a concern to me much longer.


But that's a story for another day. Compare that with the story of my reading Don DeLillo's play Valparaiso (ISBN 9780684864211) a few weeks ago. DeLillo's better known for his novels, yet this play about a businessman traveling to Valaparaiso in one state, and then being rerouted to the Chilean city of that name. It's part funny, part confusing, part soliloquy told in interviews and airline announcements

-- that is, in the days American aviation wasn't trying to drive itself out of business --

that's supposed to comment on how the media filters everything. Including this post as you're reading it, I expect. Reading historian and Kennedy advisor Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.'s 2004 War and the American Presidency (ISBN 0393060020) we're faced with how presidential powers have a tendency to creep and expand during wartime (Biblically, I mean Constitutionally, Congress declares war but the President can authorize specific actions) and in peacetime ... um, do not contract.


And yet another argument for replacing the Electoral College

But we'll need another post to go into that and my time's up!


David

Comments

Popular Posts