I Wish I Could Keep Going With This ...


Twenty-three years ago ...


1 Corinthians 3:1-9                                                     May 25
G+10 pilgrims to Mecca - for salvation                      9405.25


You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? 3


The innocence of education is gone. Our children are being exposed,


Sandra Alexander, parent of five schoolchildren in Chicago


Shaka, when the walls fell.


Prior to February 26, 1993, this country was a much freer place. Now we have guards. Now we have an identification card mentality. It's not quite as free.


U.S. District Judge Kevin Duffy, upon sentencing World Trade Center bombers


So'wl'chu! Whether it's a quarrelling church, an institution (let's say it, a false religion) that places human survival beneath religious rhapsody, the promotion of gangsterism and a mob mentality, or a rampant mistrust and a loss of maturity, we have seen it coming. It comes clanking, mentally excluding all reason, all freedom, all life -- submerging it in order to hold on to life.


What I postulate here is incredible scary, but when we see the effects of our permissiveness and our complacency and blame the institutions we create rather than look for ourselves, then we no longer need to look for the enemy. In the words of Pogo, "We have met the enemy and he is us."


There will always be war when there is either a tyranny of the old or the young. The old remember why they fight, and the yound look for a reason to fight.


...


I wish I could keep going with this entry, but just these two reprinted pages is food for thought for me. Written ten days after my graduation from Stetson (what the "G+10" means), I'm still forcing myself in my journal to be deep of thought. And letting out my inner Trekker with phrases and from Tamarian and Klingon can never hurt my street cred!


Today before work I had my second interview, one I did not expect. Yesterday I interviewed for an office assistant job at Trinity Health, and today I interviewed for a dietary aide position at Trinity Homes. I would not be surprised if I heard from either (or both!) of those positions after Memorial Day. And no lie, I need to find something full time as my current job ends in five and a half weeks.


As opposed to the lie that detective Nick Archer and socialite Abbey Kincaid are forced to tell in Liar's Kiss (ISBN 9781603090704) where Abbey's husband is murdered and she's got an alibi for not being there to have killed him ... but she can't use it, as Nick was working for her husband at the time in this noir story written by Eric Skillman and drawn by Jhomar Soriano. Interesting tale.


From that setting graphically told we turn to Yvain: The Knight of the Lion (ISBN 9780763659394) a twelfth-century Arthurian legend retold by M.T. Anderson and illustrated by Andrea Offermann. He becomes acquainted with the lion when he saves it from a dragon, and the story's a series of quests Sir Yvain must undertake to win back the hand of his wife after he breaks his word to her.


And there's volume two of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, Hollow City (ISBN 9780316306799) told by Ransom Riggs and with art by Cassandra Jean  that I've finished reading in graphic novel format because I don't have the time to read the novel. I have several on my plate already, in varying degrees of completion.


And THAT is my abridged week. Others binge watch and binge eat, and I binge read!


David

Comments

Popular Posts