Ensign: Documentary For A Dad













All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                       26 May 2017


A few Saturdays ago I was out with Jeffrey and Martha while our daughter Sarah was at a friend's, and we made plans to watch a movie at home. We were getting into a joking and laughing mood and Jeffrey asked us what movie could we bring a book to? Now Jeffrey's also big on riddles and wordplay, so at first we thought he was telling a riddle, or at least I did. The answer was today's title -- "Documentary For A Dad" implying with me as the dad that it would be a pretty boring movie! Because a lot of what I do when I'm not at work is either read or sleep, usually falling asleep while watching a movie. Or falling asleep while I read.


I can take a joke. But not repeatedly, especially when it is on me.


I'd have this particular devotion sitting on my computer for a few weeks, but just yesterday when I was trying to finish it I couldn't find it. With all apologies to Pastor Gerald, I think it's a God moment ... I know more or less how I was going to tie this into a devotion, but until I was reading in another one called Bible Prayers for Fathers yesterday I had no idea I would go in another direction with this. But that's life when you are making the earnest effort to live it for God (and hopefully other people are seeing that, even if you're not shouting "God is awesome" in every other sentence -- we had someone when I was at university who'd do this) and not live it for just yourself.


Dear God, I've never identified with Zechariah before.

Not the thirty or so people by that name in the Old Testament, but the one in the New. The Jewish priest whom with his wife Elisabeth had never had children had been praying for a child for a very long time; we're not told how long, but I imagine it had been for decades. And unlike another ... elderly man thousands of years ago, Zechariah was not willing to "help God along" by having a child by his wife's handmaid. (THAT story begins in Genesis 16.) To the best of my knowledge this wasn't even permitted in Judea then occupied by the Roman Empire.


This is good as we're still dealing with the fallout from that man, his wife, and her handmaid.


Now THAT might be a good movie title! But I digress. The devotion on Zechariah that I read came under the heading "Praying Despite Weak Faith", and that hit home for me. I expect every one of us has had moments when we just don't or think we can't have faith that God will do what He says He's going to do. And isn't He the Ultimate Dad? Even when one of God's angels faces Zechariah and tells him "Fear not, Zechariah, for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John."


(and goes on not only about John but also what he's going to do, see Luke 1:13-18 for more)


He found it hard to believe. Now it's all right to find God's promises hard to believe (that's the point; when what God promises happens, you'll know Who did it) but going mute until your son's born, as Zechariah did courtesy of the angel Gabriel, is probably the least of your worries. Far better to avoid the middleman of unbelief and accept as Mary did Gabriel's word of Jesus being born, later in that chapter: "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word."


It's much more, and we can be much more, exciting that way.


David


P.S. I will continue as long as God allows me to write this devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages us too! If it's not or you would like me to get lost, please let me know. Thank you!

Thank YOU, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that we can count on You to provide for all our needs according to Your riches in glory, even when we don't know what our needs are. And we come to You in prayer for the peace in Jerusalem on both sides of the fence and all over the world.

Thank You as well, Lord, for everyone in leadership and serve, in authority and power, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You by Your Son Our Brother, Jesus the Christ.

And now I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.






Comments

Popular Posts