GRADUATION DAY!!!


[It was for me, from Stetson University in DeLand, Florida twenty-three years ago yesterday.

May 15, 1994.

With my Bachelor of Arts in social science-education with minors in history and political science.

That DAY I didn't have time to write much, but I caught a few highlights in my journal. So I'll just reprint the whole weekend here. David]

                                                                                      A
2 Thessalonians 2:1-12                     May 14
1 day                                                  9405.14


For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 7


2 Thessalonians 2:13-17                   May 15
GRADUATION DAY!                        9405.15


So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.


[I must appreciate that these Scripture readings from graduation weekend came out of Paul's final letter. Now I do, at least.]


G + 1
Revelation 19:1-10                             May 16

today: pack everything (away)           9405.16


I cannot believe that it's actually here! Graduation = G-DAY! In Gayle Littleton's words, "I never promised you a rose garden -- but I wish you one." All 398 of us graduates did a terrific job -- we must have to get this far. You can check the program -- I was first in line for Bachelor of Arts (and also co-leader with Susan McDole for baccalaureate), and I was shaking inside because I was so relaxed! I didn't feel I should be, even though it was my (our) day in the sun.


"Pomp and Circumstance No.1" still rings in my head even about twelve hours after the event (it's 1:19 AM now) -- it was that impacting and ought to be! So many of my friends -- people I have grown with over the past four years so much -- are now off on their own paths. Whether led by You or not, Lord, we know that we have made our choices. And "wherever in the world we may go," let those of us who are led by You, O Lord our God, know that we must SHINE in this world of darkness!


Looking through the 111th Spring Commencement program -- I quipped once that our number meant we're number 1 three times over -- I see how far people come to get to Stetson! We have an M.A. from Brazil, an M.S. from South Carolina (Steve Coleman, who earned his B.S. from Stetson in 1989); an M.Ed. from Indiana; an M.B.A. from Barbados (Melanie Yearwood); B.A.s from Missouri, Connecticut (Williams), New Jersey, Massachusetts (Snipes) (Lisa Cotton), New York (Gena Fischer and Laura Klossner), Indiana (Kristen Follis), California (Omura), Germany, Georgia (Mary Manly, from the state), Kentucky (Swyers) (Christine Ridenhour), Pennsylvania (Karla Shaffer), Maine (Kim Tompkins), Slovakia (Jarmila Trnečková), Puerto Rico (Rafael Valle), and South Carolina (2nd) -- with Florida, that's 5 countries and 13 states at Stetson!


But wait -- there's more! Consider Ohio, Oklahoma (Heath Glandon), Canada, Hong Kong (Lance Starr), Louisiana, Illinois (Jane Yeager), North Carolina, New Jersey, Peru, Kansas, Maryland, Taiwan, Arizona, Belgium, Bahamas, Washington, Texas, + Alabama (Trent Tonsmeire and Jarrod White), and our total becomes 11 countries and 25 states represented by OUR GRADUATING CLASS!


The greatest part of commencement, when all is said and done, was that I got to see Mom again.


In the word of Bugs Bunny, "I'll never mix radish juice and carrot juice again."


After "the big day," I went with Mom, Muriel, and Justin to DeLand IHOP. Going abck to Stetson, I drove to Edgewater for a party/reunion at Cindy Lovell's house; I met her family and friends, as well as Libby Keith and Kim White, who will graduate from Stetson in July.


I "moved in" today; everything is unpacked, but I KNOW I need to move out soon -- for his sake and mine. [I moved in with my dad after graduation and that's a story in itself.]



Comments

Popular Posts