The Cola Wars, Israeli Front



Not really.

The girl in that photo's wearing that costume for Purim, a Jewish holiday that commemorates the Jews in the Persian Empire twenty-five centuries ago (for more details, please read the Old Testament book of Esther) being saved from extermination. It was celebrated this past weekend, and The Israel Project shared this photo -- besides dressing up in costume, Purim's also commemorated by exchanging food and drink, donating to charity, and reciting the Book of Esther usually in synagogue.


One can almost hear the boos and hisses whenever Haman's name is mentioned.


My understanding is that the "cola wars" between Coca-Cola (even if you can't read what I presume is Hebrew on the costume, you should definitely recognize the logo!) and Pepsi that are incredibly subdued in the United States due to an agreement the company heads made and signed in the 1930s proceed full tilt in the rest of the world. Coke and Pepsi having originated in the United States, it almost makes sense.


Well, as much as any war makes sense.


As I'm writing this at about 12:46 pm Central Standard Time I just got word from Martha that she's on her way to Longfellow to pick up Jeffrey who's got a 102 degree (about 39 degrees Celsius) fever. He really wanted to go to school today because both he and Sarah were home yesterday -- home being staying and resting at their grandparents Robert and Sharon's place -- and his fever was below 100 (at or above is typically stay-home conditions, among other things.


I would appreciate prayers for both of them.


And I was almost going to call in sick today because I felt feverish and was coughing like crazy. And you think the KIDS are no fun when they're sick? I just don't want to talk or move around -- but getting outside does help, I'll admit that. But since Sarah and Jeffrey are out of school they're not going to Carol Choir practice at church tonight and we won't be going to Lenten worship, which I can live with. Last week I got there after work just as the service was ending anyway!


Now I am inspired (nay, NEEDING) to finish my latest novel, and it came to me this morning!


David


 





Comments

Popular Posts