On Earth, As It Is In Heaven.


Twenty-nine years ago ...


Chapter 27                                       David Alvin
Mar. 23, 1988                                  5th period


1. Do you agree with the statement in the text that the Industrial Revolution was the most important event in the history of the human race? Explain why or why not.


yes, it produced more advanced methods


2. The word liberal is used differently today than it was in the 18th and 19th century. Define the earlier meaning and compare these with contemporary usage.


new ideas, toleration, radicals; today, liberals are not so tolerant and they are less radical, speaker for the underdog (nonconformity)


3. To what extent do you believe class conflict is at the basis of wars and internal political tenstions? Is class conflict a more significant cause of war than nationalism? To what extent does nationalism dull the edge of class antagonism?


civil wars, wars between nations
class conflict better cause than nationalism
nationalism unites people in different classes against a larger foe


4. To what extent were both Marxism and liberalism products of the Enlightenment?


Marxism wanted to put responsibility in hands of workers
liberalism wanted to change things


Now . . .


And that's page one of four on an open-note assignment I was doing that day in Mrs. Hooten's humanities class. In Crescent City High School where I grew up, Mrs. Hooten was the teacher everybody dreaded having on the outside, but if you were going on to college or university she was vital! There were bets going around for the better part of a decade when she'd retire ... if I remember right Mrs. Hooten finally retired three and a third years after I graduated high school in 1990! I had Mrs. Hooten for tenth grade humanities (the excerpt above's from that, with my answers in bold), three years of Drama, and senior honors English.


On a lark I looked up "Rita S. Hooten" online and wondered if she's still alive. I have a lot of fond memories of being in Mrs. Hooten's classes ... she died according to a local obituary I read on September 12 last year. Another thing I noticed when I was trying to find something to share for this "Throw Back Thursday" is that a lot of what I've written is still in cursive! I had to make my brain transition a bit ... I can still write in cursive, but it takes me longer than it used to. I can certainly understand it, and I get complimented quite a bit on that skill. Now if only my other languages would work as well, particularly English.


And dialects, I'm not so good with dialects. Anyway, last night after work I met the family at church and our midweek Lenten service was just getting done. I met Martha and the kids in front and took the kids to get something to eat while Martha was at choir practice. She got home afterward and told me a funny story one of her fellow choristers (I believe that's the word for "fellow choir member") told her, about one of her high school students having much math homework to finish for the end of this nine-week grading period. The student said he didn't call it math, he called it will. As in "my will be done".


In this case, said the teacher, it's my will be done.


David







Comments

Popular Posts