It's Pi Day! And My Kids Are Sick At Home.



It's the nerd in me that remembers Pi Day.


Without having to be reminded of it, I remembered it when I woke up today. For the non-math students among us (come on, everyone here has had some math), pi represented by the Greek letter π is the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. Numerically it's represented at 3.14, or if you want to carry it out, 3.14159265378979 ... and so on to a so-far undetermined limit. And in keeping with an episode of Star Trek -- not The Next Generation pictured, I just liked the post! -- it is a transcendental number that will keep a computer figuring it out until it's told to stop. 


Sometimes you don't need to be quite so exact.


Now, on to Sarah and Jeffrey who are sick at home. With all the weather changes going on it's inevitable that the kids having hundred degree fevers (about thirty-eight degrees Celsius) in conjunction with coughing fits and Sarah especially getting her asthma triggered which it hasn't in months that they would both be missing some school. Jeffrey was especially frustrated about that because he'd miss gym while Sarah would just let it pass her by even though she's missing early morning band. But we can't get anyone else sick at school if we can avoid it.


Funny thing.

When I was their age I don't remember this being such a big concern -- that is, staying home from school because you didn't want to get anyone else sick. Of course, with the exception of tenth grade I think I was home about one school day every month with some new cold (because colds are viruses and there are more than two hundred of them AND YOU ONLY BECOME IMMUNE TO ONE AT A BLEEPING TIME). And I stayed in my house and rested as much as I possibly could! I was not a fun person when I was sick.



Nor are the kids, so I should cut them some slack.


But thank God that Martha and I are able to go to work because her family -- Martha's the youngest of four sisters -- all live in this area, so Grandpa and Grandma (who you may have also seen referred to here as Robert and Sharon) are able to watch them or another sister who's not working at the time can watch them when we cannot. Because we're at work. I'm still coughing a bit as I'm typing this, talk about the power of suggestion! Oh heck with it, tonight after work why don't I just pick up the kids and get us some pie to celebrate.


We're having pizza tonight, so it's a pizza pie!


I like those better than pumpkin,

David

Comments

Popular Posts