Ensign: School Begins

All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                       26 August 2016


I almost heard today's title in the intonation of "Carousel Begins" from the movie Logan's Run.


Well, there's no need to panic, we're not picking off anyone upon their thirtieth birthday. (That I know of, but for why I say that see the movie.) Two days ago here in Minot my kids Sarah and Jeffrey started fifth and fourth grade, Sarah with the same teacher she had in FIRST grade and Jeffrey with someone new to Longfellow. And this week my wife Martha's taken time off from work to get the kids to school and take care of other things around the house.


Starting on Monday, that's my job.


The most memorable first day of school for me was the first day of sixth grade (my first year of middle school) because my records came over from elementary school with my name misspelled. For those who don't know my last name, it's A-L-V-I-N as in the chipmunk from Alvin and the Chipmunks. It came over spelled Allen, A-L-L-E-N and I had to fix that with every one of my six teachers. My gym teacher when I said that looked like he was going to chew me up and spit me out!

Adults do not like having attention called to their mistakes.


I grew up believing that for a LONG time, that you get to a certain age and BAM! you don't need to be taught -- or at least you don't need to go to school -- anymore; you have all the answers, and you know what to do in any given scenario. But there are a lot of life skills that "the three R's" just don't teach you. Factoring quadratic equations and composing persuasive essays and deciphering Tolstoy are just not handy skills when balancing a family budget!

Does this mean only teach what you'll actually find useful?


I would hope not, otherwise your average school year would be just two months and not nine! I'm sure everyone there would rejoice, but I wouldn't. Even if we're not having to walk in a line to and from our jobs and homes today we still need to be willing to learn, be willing to be taught. And none of us get old enough in either body or mind to get out of that. Through the Bible we see people from all age brackets whom God uses to reach people and in turn whom God reaches.


Hebrews 11 -- the hall of heroes of faith chapter -- is really just the tip of the iceberg.


But nobody then and nobody now is flawless in terms of how they live with the power of God through them. Abraham left his homeland when God called him at seventy-five, yet he's also the one who tried to accelerate God's timetable for a son with Ishmael. Jacob's the father of the twelve tribes of Israel, yet he tricked his dad Isaac to get the blessing due the firstborn son. Joseph became second in command of Egypt and saved his family, yet he served prison time before he was able to.


What does faith have to do with (my Southern drawl here) " book larnin' "?


It's all a question of what you do with either one. Sure without faith it is impossible to please God, but to only have faith and not do anything as a result is worse than not having faith at all. Granted subduing kingdoms and wreaking righteousness and obtaining promises, etc. from Hebrews 11:34-40 doesn't quite sound the same as having your school supplies all together or graduating with honors (depending what age you are) but you've got to get and be willing to be made into one who can.


That's when school begins,


David


P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch and I hope to be an encourager too! If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please let me know. Thank you!


Thank YOU, Lord, that we can always come to you in prayer and that we can count on You to provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. And let us come to You in prayer for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence and all over the world.


Thank You as well, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You also for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You by Your Son Our Brother, Jesus Christ.


And I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts