The Last Caldorian




Apparently I've been mispronouncing Oedi's name all these years. At least if the response to a letter printed at the end of Dreadstar issue #14 (cover date October 1984), presuming the answers are written by the people who actually worked on the series itself, is any indication. Quoth the David:

Oedi is pronounced as if it were short for Edward, and you can find Syzygy's name in the dictionary, because he's named after a planetary conjunction. All three "y"s are pronounced like short "i's, and the "g" is soft, like a "j".


I include that about Syzygy here because it was part of the sentence as well as because he would be such a cool character to dress up as for Halloween or other cosplays! Basic black outfit, cover your left eye with something red, some plain bling for your belt and wrists ... ah, but I digress.


Only if you make a connection, red ... and you strike me as someone who hasn't made a connection in years.




Seriously, when I started reading Dreadstar at thirteen or so I thought the cat-man and last Caldorian's (hence the title; all but Oedi on his home planet got wiped out in a Monarchy raid) name was said like Garfield's friend Odie, the dog slow of wit and slobbering of tongue.


Oedi, remember you're here as an ally, not as an avenging sole survivor.


Though what inspired Garfield creator Jim Davis to put a dog and a cat in the same house is in itself a mystery to me ... but that strip's still running after thirty-eight years, so I think some people relate to it. I hope you will forgive me for saying I'm not a pet person, but I relate to it other ways.


You had better have us anchored in the right spot.

Now I have to think of Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd, and Eddy when I'm recalling Oedi's name. Or any of eight kings of England. In any event, it's easier to relate to being the last of your kind even in a family and in a crowd, more than I thought it would be at my age.  No one else is me.


So maybe I mean the first.


Got the kids from Robert and Sharon's last night, treated them to store bought pizza -- we love the Roma pepperoni! -- and got them back there this morning with minimal fuss. One person at Marketplace last night wore a seat belt AS her personal belt, it was neat to see!


Because grocery stores do tend to change speeds and stop suddenly.


Please ... let me help.


David








Comments

Popular Posts