I think it was the 11th "alas" that did it.



THROW BACK THURSDAY!

I wish I could read aloud this post of my favorite posts and quotes from the last half of June (and in the case of number one, I remember this from a 1980 cartoon I haven't seen in decades)! "Throw Back Thursday" as I hear it on 106.9 FM that I listen to at work has so much more ... soul to it, and that's hard to communicate in text.

At least for me, David

1. I hate having my molecules transported ... It's so messy.




(Timothy, Pandamonium, "Timothy's Story")



2. Top 10 things I'm thankful for today. 1) Forgiveness and faith in Jesus, 2) My most amazing life partner and best friend [this Poster's Wife], 3) My incredible family and all of its extensions, 4) Beautiful friendships including all my church family, 5) Freedom and all of the opportunity it gives us, 6) each new day I am given, 7) Life mentors, 8) A sound mind (at least according to most people), 9) The power to make choices, 10) Our God given ability to influence others.






3. The poor are crazy, the rich just eccentric.



(Ellen Raskin, The Westing Game)




4. RANDOM THOUGHTS
1. I think part of a best friend's job should be to immediately clear your computer history if you die.
2. Nothing sucks more than that precise moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
...
3. I totally take back all those times I didn't want to take a nap when I was younger.
4. There is great need for a sarcasm font.
5. How the hell are you supposed to fold a fitted sheet?
6. Was learning cursive really necessary?
7. Map Quest really needs to start their directions on # 5.
I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.
8. Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.
9. I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired.
10. Bad decisions make good stories.
11. You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
12. Can we all just agree to ignore whatever comes after Blue Ray? I don't want to have to restart my collection...again.
13. I'm always slightly terrified when I exit out of Word and it asks me if I want to save any changes to my ten-page technical report that I swear I did not make any changes to.
14. I keep some people's phone numbers in my phone just so I know not to answer when they call.
15. I think the freezer deserves a light as well.
16. I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Miller Lite than K.
17. I have a hard time deciphering the fine line between boredom and hunger.
18. How many times is it appropriate to say "What?" before you just nod and smile because you still didn't hear or understand a word they said?
19. I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!
20. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
21. Sometimes I'll look down at my watch 3 consecutive times and still not know what time it is.
22. Even under ideal conditions people have trouble locating their car keys in a pocket, finding their cell phone, and Pinning the tail on the Donkey - but I'd bet everyone can find and push the snooze button from 3 feet away, in about 1.7 seconds, eyes closed, first time, every time!
23. The first testicular guard, the "Cup," was used in Hockey in 1874 and the first helmet was used in 1974.
That means it only took 100 years for men to realize that their brain is also important.
Ladies.....Quit Laughing.






5. If cute new shoes make it better, then it really wasn't much of a problem






6. A co-worker of mine, asked me if I was thinking of starting a career with my writing. I really didn't know how to answer that. Sure, I would love to take my writing more seriously and write for a living, but now that is just a dream. The reality of being a full time writer is so far out there for me right now. I just get discouraged thinking about it. Does anyone else feel this way?





7. Weeeeeelll... I think one should know rules and conventions before one strays... the "myths" usually have a justification (or DID at some point), but they may not apply to creative writing so much...it's just good to know WHAT one is doing (and why).




8. The fear of punishment is preferable to the fear that shame births, the fear of abandonment. (At lease when we are being punished, someone is still paying attention to us.)



(Brad Binan, 061816, Christ In Our Home)




9. To you, the men who are in their kids lives. To the ones who support and incourage, and pop that hiney when they should. For the guys who fish, hunt, twist wrenches, shoot, or just play ball with the tikes even way after "tike" no longer fits. For the men who worry in silence late into the night and make up an excuse why your awake when they are safe. Happy Fathers'Day!!!






10. When you ask a centurion to play therapist, there will be very little staring at inkblots.



(Vesuvius, Secret Identities)




11. I refuse to feel bad about it, either. I did my master's on a structuralist reading of The A-Team. Suck it, Debbie Downers trying to steal my joy.


12. Hot weather + leather furniture= getting stuck while sitting Lol






13. To be fair, most bugs, once you get past the crunchy coating, have creamy centers.




14. Elijah didn't wait until he felt differently. He trusted that he'd feel differently once he stopped waiting.




(Brad Binau, 062216, Christ In Our Home)



15. Please put in crock pot with BBQ Sauce
Thank You
Love You


(Martha in black marker on a brown napkin to me, I read about 0815 hrs that day)





16. Are the batteries dead, or did you not remove the plastic strip from the battery case?




17. My novel. It doesn't state that reading it has to have transformed you. But writing it has changed me for sure. It's taught me to empathise with the sort of people in everyday life that I would write off for being jerks and pigs. It's taught me that everyone has their own story and that whatever you see on the outside is often only a shield to help them get through this incredibly difficult thing we call life. Above anything it's taught me empathy and humility. And that has definitely transformed me and my life.




18. I just had my first mood therapy group today and I felt like such a fraud - living a good life, current mood just fine, thank you very much, smiling effortlessly and wanting to take care of the others in the group...and then it was my turn to talk and it turned out that I was the first person to cry in the whole thing. It's not just the outsiders who doubt the reality of depression, sometimes it's us, too.


19. Today I will not get into a debate with someone who clearly has no clue.






20. Well, this is a load of garbage. This set of "guidelines" is no more than a paper sword attacking several standout fan made productions, such as Axanar and Renegades. Paramount is trying to codify what fans can and cannot do in a fan film, which is pointless as copyright law does allow fair use. The above listed productions, and any others that would fall outside of these "guidelines", can only help the growth of Star Trek by keeping current fans interested, as well as bringing in new ones. The fans putting these projects together are not doing it for money, they are doing it for love of the show. All any one has to do is look to how Star Wars fan films are treated to see how Paramount is screwing over Star Trek fans.






21. The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.



(James M. Barrie)








22. Someone yesterday posted a really cool book about angles and it had a fairly post apocalyptic feel to the cover. Something with the MC getting a chance to be an angle and get their wings? If anyone knows what I'm talking about can they link me to it?

[I know this Poster meant "angels", but I ran with this awesome misspelling, leading to the next post down! -- D.]






23. Hypotenuse rules! If only we could get Right to lessen his hold on the protractor, Sin and Cosin could unite the kingdoms!


24. Oh, I always consider myself a monster. I just know that sometimes you NEED to be a monster. Can't always be the good guy.



25. Done with [democracy, which the Poster this one's responding to had expressed frustration with -- D.]? No. I'm still with "worst form of government except for all the others" [You quote Churchill, I listen. -- D.]. BUT... do we need to modify it? Is one person one vote the best solution for Democracy? These are all really good questions.

The US needs to switch from a winner take all 2 party system to a coalition government and I think that would go a long way toward helping things. I would LOVE to see some form of vetting that says you at least know how the government works, but that didn't work out so well last time.

We aren't done with Democracy, but until the entire populace reaches a minimum level of education and sociopaths aren't brain washing our young idealists then one person one vote is fraught with peril.



26. That's disturbing. I somehow died by hypodermic. Or sudden loud noise. Which, as I think about it, both are plausible.






27. Probably the past, the present, and the future are like a long road. Beyond each turn the road exists, only we cannot see it, and we think this is the future, but the future is there already waiting for us.



(Isadora Duncan, My Life)





28. This is pretty much why I don't consider myself a writer. I'm more of an "I'd love to write a book someday" person. I enjoy writing from time to time, and I think I MIGHT be able to finish the book I'm writing someday. I don't think I'll ever attempt to publish it, though. I'm just writing it to get it out of my head. But I can at least appreciate the amount of work that goes into writing.



29. One of the most beautiful things I ever heard said was by a doctor I knew, and we were talking about the upsides and downsides of our professions. I'm a techie. I make a mistake, no one loses their life or becomes ill. Not so for medical professionals.
Me: "I like fixing things and finding solutions, especially the tough ones. I imagine being an oncologist is trying, at times. But what's the most rewarding part?"
Him:"When you help save someone you didn't think you could. But someday I hope to be an oncologist with no patients."





30. Law or advice -- no matter how good -- can't save us, but it is revealing. It shows us who we are: people who need to be guided, chided, prodded, and pushed. Once we own this truth about ourselves, it's much easier to give thanks "to God the Father at all times and for everything," especially for the good news that acceptance is always God's last word.



(Brad Binau, 062816, Christ In Our Home)



31. We need to engage the rest of the world, not shrink back and succumb to the irrational fear of "others".

Though you'd never know it from watching the news, the world is actually a far more peaceful place today than 20, 30, 40, and 50 years ago.

There a still wars being fought, clearly, but violent, armed conflict has been trending lower and lower over the decades.

Prosperous middle class societies are growing in places that once only knew complete poverty.

Diseases and starvation are being reduced.

Now is not the time to turn our back on the world. Now is the time for more engagement from the US (though far less armed engagement would be appreciated).

America is not great when it's scared and isolationist.

America shows its greatness when it's brave and welcoming.





32. Perfekt tirsdag. Cola med isbiter og Star Wars

[Translated from the Norwegian] Perfect Tuesday. Coke with ice cubes and star wars





33. The third person object pronoun had at a point in the past concurrent to now was one singular without light plus one singular which also could be described as enduring the presence of storms at a time when the area was on the side of the planet turned away from the sun.

(Me making "It was a dark and stormy night" as obtuse as possible, 062816, 1414 hrs)





34. I did, but I was pregnant and VERRRRRY cranky. I decided to read my all-time favorite Lord of the Rings. I must have been having a hormonal day because the Council of Elrond was starting to rub me the wrong way. It was the elves, the stilted languages, and they kept saying "alas!" I think it was the 11th "alas" that did it. I snapped and chucked it at the wall.

[The bold type's mine, and I've read the entire Lord of the Rings once. At sword and spear point I would not read it again. -- D.]





35. I believe the original idea homosexuals wanted was for people of all sexual orientations to be created equal. To have the same rights as each other and not over ruled by one particular. Now that people want it to be that way we should tuck tail and hide? It doesn't work that way. Nobody is bashing homosexuals by wanting [Heterosexual Pride Day, the 29th of June]. It is possible to have pride without downing some one else's orientation. You're showing intolerance, and bigotry. Homosexuals have accomplished so much... within the past few years, and finally have the same rights as a straight person. (Marriage, children, divorce, happiness, sadness, etc.) But as soon as someone proposes the idea thay heteros should be allowed to be prideful we're shamed, belittled, and told we have no right to celebrate because "everyday is heterosexual" day? Just because the majority is heterosexual doesn't mean it's widely celebrated every single day. It just means it's the fucking majority. But as far as pride, and celebrations go, gays celebrate their sexual MUCH more than the majority and America has catered to that 2 percent and gave them exactly what they wanted and now its not enough? Were created equal now, which means you have no more the right than us to be prideful. You sound ridiculous, immature, and downright hateful. Don't like the idea of equality after fighting for it for so long? Too fucking bad. You don't deserve special treatment, and neither do we. Equality mother fuckers.


36. I'm a little embarrassed to think about that now, and I pray I'm not going to the other extreme, where church is so important to me that I forget why I'm really there, to worship God.


(from my blog post, 062916, "Concerts Don't End At Nine O'Clock!")





37. Wait, Disney is constantly berated and criticized for their portrayal of characters being too skinny and unrealistic. Now, they are being criticized for giving audiences exactly what they have bitched about?

















Comments

Popular Posts