Fair Is Food, And Food Is Fair



Sarah, Jeffrey, and I were awake about the same time Martha had to be for Burger King Saturday morning. And a welcome relief from all the mugginess and lack of breeze that past week came in steady showers until about nine in the morning. Then the rain stopped (though Martha says it was pretty heavy on the south end of town where we were not) and there was a little sprinkle about an hour later. The 224-float Parade had several people the kids and I knew actively participating in it -- Martha's dad Robert rode in the Disabled American Veterans van, float 51 or so.


The kids and I with several other family watched the parade from near Martha's parents' house as it came down the street. And originally Sarah was not going to be joining us, watching the parade at the house with Sharon, Breanna, and Avery, and said she didn't even want to get candy at the parade. Then the real Sarah escaped and yes she got plenty! Which reminds me, I should check on our own participation in the parade next year.



We got an awesome deal on season passes (which are already a deal at twenty-five dollars) through Martha's sister Mary, and it's no lie we like that! It's when you buy anything AT the Fair that eats at you. And it's mostly eats, I admit that. But Saturday and yesterday we went through the buildings and saw a great many products and samples we'll likely not buy this year, but it's a lot of fun to go. I'm partial to the onion blossoms myself, but after I asked for onions on my footlong hot dog Saturday it got deluged with them. So that was out.


But cheese curds, I've got to have cheese curds. So far as I write this my family and I have taken the State Fair in more than we have in any previous year! Will we be going again Saturday after Martha's off work? She and I, I mean; Sarah and Jeffrey I'm sure will be going with their mega-ride passes before we do! We'll see about that; it's not a big deal to me either way. Deep breath ... Sunday after church where after worship we held a birthday party for three sisters there who turned eighty, seventy-five, and seventy respectively. Then we went home and laid back for a bit.


Then we were at another birthday party, this one for our twelve-year-old niece and goddaughter Josceline, a small family function at her house with Milton grilling hot dogs and hamburgers, Batman-themed presents (Josceline's a big Batman fan right now), and a Dairy Queen ice cream cake! You can't go wrong with that, even though you do have to wait a few minutes before you cut the cake after taking it out of the freezer.

That, and be careful where you throw those batarangs!


David





Comments

Popular Posts