Shining, Shimmering, Splendid


Ten years ago ...

Isaiah 53:1-12                                                                              July 28
to make family time count; Pastor Marty's new calling              10607.28


But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 5


Joshua 22 - Reuben, Gad, and Manasseh set an altar in their own territory and nearly provoke civil war


Sarah's five months old today, and her first tooth is hurting a lot coming in! Since it's my day off today, I get to hear a lot of it as Martha's at work. Lord, even though I love them both it doesn't keep me from getting frustrated sometimes, even though the bond between Sarah and me seems to be getting better. I like to think I'm firm but fair, and even a baby can see that.


Playing catch-up ...


Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I watched Aladdin last night while we were eating sloppy joes for dinner for which I had to pick up the lion's share of ingredients after leaving work myself -- Martha had gotten the kids and was home with them when I got there, but some sidetracking kept them from picking up groceries themselves. (Sidetracking = Sarah and Jeffrey's two speeds of comatose and flash.) Anyway, back to Aladdin -- both Martha and I have fond memories of the 1992 Disney film. Fond and separate from one another, for this was eight years before she and I even met.


Okay, start panicking!


It was a date movie with my then-girlfriend in Florida when I was in my sophomore year at Stetson. For Martha it was embodied in movie posters on her bedroom wall, songs her band played and that she still has all (nearly, I think she tripped up on the parade song last night) nearly memorized. So do I, but I'm not the singer; rather, I especially love Jafar's scream when he finds out he doesn't have the lamp he sent Aladdin and Abu into the Cave of Wonders for. Trivia: Patrick Stewart was considered for voicing Jafar, but he couldn't get out of his work with Star Trek: the Next Generation.

Captain Picard as the voice of Jafar ... I'm can hear this in my head, but I'm reacting :p

I have one story idea that made the release of Aladdin a public relations disaster for Walt Disney due to its perceived anti-Arab overtones, and within the story -- an alternate history where the United States did not lead a coalition against or even sneeze at Iraq marching into Kuwait ... is that really twenty-six years ago next Tuesday? -- it makes sense. The "Hell no! We won't go! We won't die for Texaco!" sentiment prevailed enough for a third party, Ross Perot's United We Stand, to win the White House in that world's 1992. And the world gets bad enough for Operation Phlegethon ...


That's the river of fire paralleling the Styx in Greek mythology, you figure it out.


Were there any news or posts yesterday regarding the anniversary of the end of the Korean War? Even though July 27, 1953 isn't technically the end of the war so much as a heavily armed truce, I'm surprised that I saw nothing as much that I didn't recall it. Oy. In my own Progeny Cycle one consequence of a proxy war between the United States and China is the reunification of "New Korea", and many refugees chose to resettle in the western United States. (As far as Litany, my earliest occurring book in the series, tells at least. That I recall.)


And tonight by God and by guess will be our third night at the North Dakota State Fair.


Martha gave me the choice of going with her and the kids there after I got home from work or letting them go themselves and being home by the time I arrived. But I did want to go back, and not just in hopes of finding money like Sarah did Saturday when she was in the bathroom. Twenty-five dollars, and no one was around or had apparently just been there. This morning she kept her promise to split that with Jeffrey, partly because they know I'm paying them extra allowance tomorrow and partly because she's just an awesome kid. So's Mister J, but don't tell them I said that.


I can show you the world, David



Comments

Popular Posts