My Choice Between Books And Basics

Fifteen years ago ...


Psalm 143:1-6                                                          June 27
8 days; Kay in New York; work today                     10106.27


I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the works of thy hands. I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land. 5-6


David's lament and petition to God is also mine. Particularly verse 10, "Teach me to do thy will," shows me that serving You will not come automatically to me. Lord, it's got to -- I've got to -- be constantly seeking You and diving for the crumbs that fall from the Master's table. Perhaps right now the biggest blessing I'm worthy of is being alive, but my life can be worth so much more today.


[At the bottom of this page is my prayer for Carmel in nursing.]


Over this weekend ...


Oh, for context the 8 days I refer to above is my countdown to flying up to Bismarck to meet Martha in the flesh for the first time! It was a pretty exciting time, but that's a story for another day. This past Saturday while Martha was at work Sarah, Jeffrey, and I went around to several local businesses that on July 7 will be drawing for two tickets to Medora over in the Badlands where the winners will hear the Medora Musical, eat dinner at the Pitchfork Steak Fondue, and enjoy the first-time Gospel Brunch! Made seven stops Saturday and filled out entries for both Martha and I (OF COURSE I fill out entries for Martha too!) and I filled out one for each of us at a local jewelry store before work this morning which is closed on Saturdays.


Sixteen chances to win, I don't mind that. And whether we win -- it would be our family summer vacation as we currently don't have one planned -- or not, it was fun to get around and meet people. Our last stop on Saturday for those entry blanks was a local business that opened a week and a half ago, Clubstore Outlet, and we got there just after a radio program had been there I learned later ... but NOT too late for a free hot dog! I love them grilled; alas, when I tried to get some ketchup out of the squeeze bottle, it spurted out on my pants and I remarked at least I couldn't be accused of peeing in them. Kids and I went in, looked around, and afterward went to one of many local parks in Minot, Polaris Park. This one was great, but watch when you're walking for the gopher holes! Got some shots of the kids playing American Ninja Warrior as well, based on one show they like so much.


Sunday morning at church during the children's sermon, one of the kids blindfolded his dad in a trust exercise and had him stop just shy -- I think you'd have had to been in the pew where we were to see it -- of banging his between-legs on the pew! I'm pretty sure if Sarah or Jeffrey had blindfolded me (they are often so zonked on Sunday mornings, no matter how early we get them to bed!) I would have sung soprano, but after worship we celebrated downstairs one of our members' twenty-five years of ordination ... essentially, Kirsten can and sometimes does fulfill all the functions and duties of a pastor. We also took in a pancakes and sausage breakfast at the local Moose Club (with a big sign saying it's the home of the Millionth Member) held as a benefit for Special Olympics, and then just hung out at the house.


Hung out at the house. Look in our backyard now and you will see several future cords of firewood, the remains of a dead tree cut down in our neighbors' yard by the foreman of their property. And Martha gave the neighbor permission to cut it down -- I'm sure I did too, but I'm blanking on it -- even though we were likely to get it in our yard. Mary, Patrick, and Donovan took time Saturday to cut the tree up for us, something for which we'll owe them greatly. I just feel I need to learn and do more of this heavy lifting, these actually useful details of life instead of going back to books, go back to basics. Pardon my language, but screw my personality being quiet and ... not weak as much as something the people in my household don't respect. I want to go home and I want home to be someplace they're happy to see me, not someone they just trip over!


David



Comments

Popular Posts