From A Broadcast Point ON EARTH!

Denizations, Naturalizations And Oaths of Allegiance In Colonial New York.

Okay, I'm sure there are some capital letters in there that don't belong there, but it looks awkward without them. And I had to look up what a "denization" WAS -- I assumed it was derived from "denizen", but who says that anymore? Anyway, it looks like denizations, naturalizations, (hey, the Oxford comma wasn't in the title!) and oaths of allegiance are interchangeable here for the people who lived there in those pre-United States days, when New York was a British colony. It was at Minot Public Library's last book sale, and I picked it up in the last two hours when I could stuff as many books as I wanted in the bag and day just three bucks for the bushel! There's a technique to this.


This is proof that not every book I have do I necessarily use, or even read! But Kenneth Scott and Kenn Stryker-Rodda's 1975 retyping (ISBN 0806306793 on a manual typewriter, remember those?) is even indexed, and usually registers and censuses don't get those. I commend that, as I commend Dorothy Scott who actually typed this -- she gets special recognition in a publisher's note. And we're well past the 72-year limit on when census data is released to the public in the 18th century! But to be blunt, I have a hard time researching my own family (really, it just hasn't been a high priority for me) and there are some awesome gaps in mine. How I'm living and what I'm imparting today is way


more important than any heritage I could possibly trace. So before I left the kids with Martha's parents today so I could go to work I started a pot roast with barbecue sauce in the crockpot ... and at first I was looking around for a bottle of barbecue sauce. Thankfully we had some left in the fridge from our last crock pot cooking -- I save it because it's really good, though perhaps not so much for my blood sugar count which I get to get checked tomorrow morning prepping for a doctor appointment next week, I covet prayer on that please -- and I added it. Just before we left though, I found three bottles of barbecue sauce and quickly added one!


So it should be pretty rich. Last night I picked up the kids who without their tablets -- they are learning to not live with them on umbilical cords, hallelujah! -- played with their cousin Josceline, had lunch, and helped out around the house before I brought them to Dollar Tree and picked up some night lights to replace Sarah's burnt out one, some light bulbs to replace a burnt out one that's been burnt out in our living room for months (back to paragraph two sentence five, it hasn't been a priority as we still had two lighting ones), and Taco John's where we filled up on potato olays. And I paid cash, a handy thing to do. And have!


After our dinner, Martha got home with hers -- she works Tuesdays until nine at a local Burger King -- and after that I remember her and Sarah watching Project Runway, Jeffrey playing some games, and me falling asleep on the couch!  I don't even remember falling asleep, for the breeze coming in lulled me and I must have been tired! But I do remember waking up and it was about midnight when I did, well past everyone's bedtime. Even though it's summer and Sarah and Jeffrey are out of school, we are so going to work on that. Martha goes to work first, and I REALLY don't like dealing with my kids grumpy from lack of sleep.


Which probably says I need more sleep, David

Comments

Popular Posts