Ensign: God Texts Us Wherever We Are





All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                        9 June 2016


I know I heard this wrong Sunday morning.


It was during the Children's Sermon Pastor Gerald gave and they were reviewing the lessons in the previous week's Bible Day Camp (Vacation Bible School by another name, called that because we had counselors from a local Bible camp helping teach it) and the point was that "God PROTECTS us wherever we are" -- in a lions' den, on a boat in the midst of a storm, on the run from an angry king (in the Bible this happened to Daniel, Jesus' original disciples, David, and Elijah respectively).


It happens to us too. We don't have to ask God to protect us so much as we have the chance to acknowledge that He's there. It is not His will that any of us perish. But if any of us make the choice so to do -- I'm sounding British there but bear with me -- it's our choice, not the Lord's. What is the point for each of us where we will ask God to come into our lives? Make no mistake, it's different for everyone. Even the most ardent atheist and the most alienated agnostic is looking for God.


But they make it too hard. We make it too hard.




Okay, if the "G" word is driving you nuts, try purpose. It worked for me when I was in my early teens. Decades before email and texting were as common as they are and seem to be today, people used to receive typed or handwritten letters THROUGH THE MAIL and you often had to wait a day to a week for them! Something I need to get back into doing more; don't get me wrong, I like the ease of email and texting, but something's missing. And I can rip up or shred a physical letter.


Even if you delete a text or email, someone else's recovering it if they're skilled enough (or have the services of someone who is, which I'm not) is easy enough. So here's the thing, why not use the texts and emails we do send and use to build each other up and not tear each other down? It's easy to get into the I-don't-have-time trap or it's-too-much-for-me trap or I'm-just-really-bearing-a-grudge. I can't make people apologize for wronging me, but I can apologize at the drop of a hat.


I can say I'm sorry at the drop of a hat for what is my fault and what isn't my fault. I can even mean it, because if I'm not willing to forgive others the way God has forgiven me -- and I have to ask for that too -- then why should He forgive me? Only with God and ourselves (not Jesus the Christ and ourselves; the Son of God is Who makes God forgiving us and bringing us into heaven with Him possible) is forgiveness a two way street. And that pervades the whole text of the Bible


wherever we are, David


P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch, and I hope it's encouraging too! If it's not or you'd like me to get lost, please let me know. Thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that we can count on You to provide for our needs, even when we're not clear what they are. And let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of that fence and all over the world.


Thank You as well, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You also for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You by Your Son Our Brother, Jesus Christ.


And I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen. 







Comments

Popular Posts