All good Bohemians rally round!









So I open today's post canvassing what I've read and heard over the last half of May 2016 with a quote from Isadora Duncan's memoir that I'm reading now, My Life. Got dictated and was at the proofs just as this founder and interpreter of modern dance died. And the original line isn't Duncan's; rather, it's the call of a Chicago editor she met and through her got introduced to the literati ... just as here I'm introducing you to some of my acquaintance.

Now onward!

David


1. you know, a herd of elk just hanging out in the yard, eating grass and the leaves off trees. Nothing to see here....





2. This came up in one of my classes today: do any of you believe in the flat earth theory?





3. The moment you think your walking really really fast...and an old lady walks right pass you...






4. There is a movie being made called "Borg/McEnroe".
Please let it be about John McEnroe being assimilated!






5. ...So that’s what I tell myself every time my elitist, judgmental and judging self gets in my way: Drop. Your. Sword. Just knock it off. Drop your sword or your standards or whatever inflexible thing is getting in your way and remember that silliness and whimsy and vulnerability and care are strengths, too, especially if they run deeper within you than a critic of them ever could.





6. A villain is just a victim without a story.




7. As I was finishing up with a customer, I asked if he needed anything else...he jokingly said "Tell me the secret of life." I laughed and said I hadn't figured it out yet. He then very seriously said "I'm 82, and I have; the secret of life is grace, gratitude, and compassion." Since he's 82, maybe he's right.





8. Thankyou Lord for removing toxic people in my life and overthinking nawala.. Inaamin ko takot padin ako sa ibang bagay pero kakayanin padin..Thankyou Lord...





9. Ever had a day that you were proud of yourself for not choking somebody out?






10. The meat is there to deteriorate. Human history is a succession of conflicts.



(Portuguese to English translation from this poster's Facebook page)




11. Much as I want to give in to evil, I don't.




(Regina Mills, Once Upon A Time, "Only You")




12. What do you call a tissue that is sleeping? A napkin.




13. It's suspensiful.




(Martha, 051816, 2130 hrs)




14. Be terrificalest!




(me to Martha, 051916, 0653 hrs)






15. "You see, I knew that your expository monologue would be your downfall."


16. Rule number 11, Kill the Hero first, Monologue later.



17. Poor, Poor, Hollywood. They are just scrounging for every dollar, trying to feed their families. They HAVE to make reboots. It's the only way they can make original films. We OWE them their money, so they can keep streaming quality to our theaters. Movies are our lifeblood, and without them, we would die. Hollywood doesn't exist, to manufacturer our dreams.

(actually, I thought it was their job)





18. ‘Thor: Ragnarok’ will destroy the universe on November 3, 2017.



(from the article "Karl Urban Is The Executioner In 'Thor:Ragnarok'" on the website Monkeys Fighting Robots, 052016, c. 1431 hrs)




19. My Micronauts were my #1 prized collectable when I was growing up. I had a nearly full collection of everything produced up until the Hornetroid came out.
A few years after that my mother came and asked me if I would give my toys to my poor cousin.
I took my collection over to him and showed him how each and every mint condition toy was built.
...
I showed him how all the toys were interchangeable and I explained the stories from the comics.
I left and returned the next day to find that my cousin who was so poor that his parents couldn't afford to buy him toys were well off enough to buy several hundred dollars worth of M80's and blow every single toy into shards.
All this after I had sat for hours explaining how much I loved each and every one.





20. Knowing the presence of God's Holy Spirit, we can face sufferings [and illnesses] with hope and even see in them a blessing.




(John McCullough Bade, 052116, Christ In Our Home)




21. Anyone who doesn't order one is supporting this pony band with dripping wings . . . . . Don't support this pony band with drippy wings please!








22. Why are the collars of sorcery so big?



Why do you watch the show if you find scenes like this one corny or embarrassing? The entire point of this show is hope, love, and believing in the impossible. It is about redemption and forgiveness. The problem isn't the show. The problem is that you watch it and think that it is just fantasy. You watch it but you don't believe in it! It's just entertainment for you. You don't believe in true love. You don't believe that hope is stronger than fear. You don't believe that impossible things can happen we just need to have faith. Don't be mad at the show because it doesn't conform to your cynical out look on the world. Don't blame the writers for not bending to your pessimistic vision of how people should act or would act. Your "reality" doesn't have any miracles because you don't believe they are real. So please, leave this show to the believers, to the dreamers, to the ones who have faith that their true love is coming. We're corny and cheesy and we believe that the world should be full of more moments like this one. Take your negative attitude and go watch Game of Thrones or the Walking Dead, because this [Once Upon A Time] fandom is for the believers.




23. A-Dog ([Acroyear's; see picture above] street name) prefers the term "Micro-Universian".



24. She fights! She flies! She makes your baby laugh! She's. ....Peek-a-boo girl!



25. Tomorrow, I will eat lunch at school with my younger daughter for the last time, attend my last classroom party, & drop off my older daughter at her first formal. As the kids would say: I. Can't. Even.




26. Playtime gone wrong, don't drink and walker






27. This is the problem of comics, especially comics that have been around for decades. How many times can the heroes fight the same villains and the same problems over and over again. They end up coming up with outrageous plots which they just undo in a year or two.



28. Segregation was a whole separate issue, they were being segregated based on Race, which is something you are proven to be born with. Even if someone is "born in the wrong body" or "born gay" or whatever it is still a choice to change their gender. And most people that are concerned are not concerned about transgender people using the restroom of their choice, they are concerned with boys being in the bathrooms with girls, some schools are k-8 or k-12, so then we will have a high school boy in the bathroom with a kindergarten girl in some cases, and that my friend is plain wrong. Everyone is talking about how transgender people have a right to feel comfortable and therefore should be able to use the restroom of their choice, however no one is talking about how all of those girls have a right to feel comfortable in the restroom and I can bet that a kindergarten girl will not feel comfortable in the restroom with a high school boy. The girls and boys in the restroom have rights too, however many are trying to take that right away based on a very SMALL percentage of the population!



29. My tea will make me unthirsty!




(my nephew Trevor Ofsthun, 052616, 0842 hrs)






30. So this bit of dialogue just popped into my head. It fits zero of my stories so I have no clue who is talking x3
"If you don't like technology then why are you using a coffee pot to make your coffee?"
"Why does man use weapons when he can easily kill something with his hands? I may not like it but I understand it's usefulness. Sides do you really trust me to make a fire so that I can boil water over it and then pour that water over my grounds cause if I can't use my fucking c...offee pot then I can't use a stove following your logic."
"Not really."
"Then shut up and let me enjoy my coffee."





31. Until they begin finding the "read to death" bodies in out of the way corners!


32. My personal life says I'm Obi Wan...my work life says I'm Sidious. What does this tell me....Work makes you evil lol


33. Cherries is worst then a kid


[I did learn later from this poster that Cherries is the name of her dog. Still, fruit can be nasty.]






34. The first one who makes peace is the stronger one in God.




(Joyce Meyer, 052716, 1216 hrs)


35. The finest inheritance you can give to a child is to allow it to make its own way, completely on its own feet.


(My Life, Isadora Duncan)






36. British sea-side town:

Murderer: "Oh I just stabbed my Spiritualist housemate over a gentleman's disagreement so I guess I'll just leave him on the floor while I fret about it for a few days."

Ten days of indecisive fretting later: "Oh dear, he's getting a bit smelly now. Whatever do I do now? I know! Let's pop down to the tarot reader for a tea and some advice!"

Tarot Reader who is naturally a blond floofy middle-aged Spiritualist lady: "Hello deary. Let me do you a reading here. Oh no, you've been a bad boy, haven't you?"

Murderer: *sobs* "Yes mum."

Tarot Lady: "Well you just sit tight with a glass of water while I go call in the bobbies, okay?"

Murderer: "Yes mum."

Tarot Lady calls the police: "Yes, hi, I've got a gent here who's gone and stuck his old friend. I think he needs a pair of handcuffs and to get out of my house now."

Police: "Oh, he'll be alright. Give him a cup of cha and we'll be there in an hour."

Tarot lady: "Ummm... alright."

*Tarot lady and murderer drink water and tea for an hour and have a laugh about how the public service has declined since Thatcher*

Murderer: "Well, thanks for that! I'm so relieved that nonsense is all over and done with. If only I'd gone to the police sooner, I'd have felt so much better."

Police: "Oi, we're the ones that had to carry your bloody dead mate out of the kitchen."

*Everyone laughs politely. Then proceeds to break down in private.*




37. A surfeit of colorful lawbreaking often serves to keep the public's -- and the authorities' -- minds off a larger conspiracy.


(Elliot S. Maggin and Alan Weiss, Batman: The Blue, the Grey and the Bat)


38. There is no secret ingredient.


(Kung Fu Panda)




39. Feel free to use for character building, I just need to vent.
Dear Mother,
I am an adult. My husband and I are more than capable of deciding whether to buy a lawn mower or not. We are more than capable of deciding where my husband should apply for a job. More than capable of deciding whether the trip we've had planned for a year should take priority over a wedding we found out the date of three months ago. I can decide when it's okay to get a dog, and what dog to get. I am an... adult, and despite sometimes feeling in over my head, I think I'm doing a pretty darn good job of it. And I'm sorry, but my husband plays a far larger factor than you in my decision making process, and quite frankly that's the way it should be. I love you, and I appreciate your advice *when I ask for it.* I do not need your criticism or your judgement.
Sincerely,
Your daughter


40. "Terrific!" cried Grandpa Joe. "It will change the world!"

(Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)



41. I feel like i\s time to wipe out my page my world as i. Know it enough said i am not a blimp on the fb world may be time to go i guess i give it till tomorrow and decide love those who love me sn even those who dont god bless see ya on the other side to my heart you will always be a big part of it in the main scheme of things i will miss the good ones who loved me!!


42. At times, we too question whether others are getting what we deserve. We even question God's economy of grace and fairness. But wouldn't you know, the mercy and love of God is extended to all, even to you and me. Amazing grace, indeed!


(John McCullough Bade, 053016, Christ In Our Home)




43. I am proud of my kids for so many things, but today, [this poster's son] graduated High School.
This is a life moment in my eldest son's journey. My advice is this:
Strive, son, for all of your goals.
Work, sweat, and strain, the struggle makes you a man you will be proud to be. Be proud of your accomplishments, but remember that your gifts come from above, give thanks!
Do these things for yourself and to glorify God, but never for my approval or respect because you already ...have them both!
When the time is right,be generous with your praise and miserly with your criticism and above all else, LOVE, love son, with all of your heart. This is what makes life worth living.

With love, respect, and pride, your Dad




(I want to saying something like this when Jeffrey graduates high school in nine years. I will.)




Comments

Popular Posts