They learned about floods and made stuff like dums





When it came time to pick up another journal to continue writing in for the mornings and through my days, I picked up a Mead five-star notebook at one of our local thrift stores. And it already had writing in it, several pages of what I'd guess to be a high school history student's notes. How this wasn't checked before being put on the shelf I couldn't guess, but I bought it anyway because I liked the character. And I like history, even if you're prone to misspell in one or two or twenty places.


We seem to learn differently than the way I learned in school, at least. Last week I was able to bring one of MY books live, Judges: That Ye Be Judged (ISBN 9781530216536) a study of the Old Testament book of Judges chapter by chapter. No, I didn't put questions for you to answer at the end of each chapter -- I don't write like that, I just broke down chapter by chapter what was going on and hopefully offering what ties these days between Israel's settlement in the Promised Land and the establishment of a monarchy have to ... well, you and I.


The last four chapters (they're only one page each, so you could knock this out in a sitting) I even titled "Our Days" because the parallel between a Levite chopping up his concubine and Micah building an idol and dedicating it to the LORD ... but I'm giving it away. Othniel, Ehud, Shamgar, Deborah, Barak, Gideon, Tola, Jair, Jephthah, Ibzan, Elon, Abdon, and Samson who had received from the LORD the title of judge -- some of them with major Major MAJOR flaws -- are all living proof (for don't they still live through the stories we have told and retold?) that the LORD God of Israel can use us despite ourselves to accomplish great things!


This weekend was not exactly something to write home about ... but in this case that was a very good thing, for because Martha did not have to go to work Saturday she was able to spend it with us when she was not at bell practice and Palm Sunday cantata practice and the Palm Sunday cantata service itself. But FIRST on Saturday we got to go to Breakfast with the Boys and the "boys" got to bring their wives, so there was a fine meal of ham and eggs on English muffin and Greek-seasoned potatoes, and afterwards a music program held downstairs of two violins and electronic organ.


We all got home after lunch -- which when it costs money I'm learning not to eat because Martha bites me in a few days for it -- and cleaned our main floor and afterward went off on tablets ... well, all but me because we only have three and the kids don't remember those big rooms with all that stuff they've got upstairs. Back up, David ... when you were Sarah and Jeffrey's ages, did you want to play with the toys and read the books you'd collected all the time either? Actually, I did more.


Still got photos to take and stuff to make, David

Comments

Popular Posts