Ensign: Never give up.





Blessed they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Matthew 5:6


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                       18 March 2016


Never give up. Personally this gets me thinking of Winston Churchill's "Never give in" speech, but a book I read last week on improving your marriage, Craig and Amy Groeschel's From This Day Forward (ISBN 9780310333845) has so ... I don't know, disgusted, inspired, depending what part you start with it runs the gamut of making a bad marriage good and a good marriage great, with both spouses having the responsibility for that. For a deeper, more authentic marriage -- Groeschels' words, not mine -- it has to do more than simply exist. I would like to think I'm talking to the single, engaged, and seeking people as well when I say that.


Stay pure. Today's opening verse sprang to my mind when I was having a chat with my wife earlier this week about how I perhaps shouldn't say I would so much enjoy my family and friends and people in general if they were just nicer without being nicer myself. Because I can be mean -- and often am mean -- without realizing it. Heck, sometimes I do realize it and find it hard not to enjoy it. But that's not very much an attempt at being righteous, is it? More like neglecting the beam in my own eye while pointing out the mote in another person's (my paraphrase of Matthew 7:3), I would believe.


Have fun. Can I do this while I am hungering and thirsting for righteousness? It's a pity that the Bible -- or at least I found it so on a first reading -- or at least its contributors seem to have their senses of humor edited out of them. Sometimes if I want a laugh I look at some of God's creations. (Or in the mirror.) If we want any relationship we are part of, we contribute to, to honor God, it's not enough to be nice. We have to WANT to be righteous, God honoring, like we want our next meal.


Fight fair. Sometimes this can be fun too. And lest you think because I'm not quoting Scripture left and right that I'm not honoring God with this post ... there are days you're right. Or left. Oh whatever! The hardest thing to do when seeking a better marriage, I'm beginning to learn, is to start seeking it. And I truly thought I was. I truly believe I am, no matter what happens. And I will.


Seek God. If I'm not doing this ... I hesitate to say first, even though it's in my programming (because you think I wouldn't seek to fight fair, have fun, stay pure, and never give up anyway?), but yes, going in reverse from how From This Day Forward presents those opening points, I must.

I promise I will never stop trying.


And never give up,


David


P. S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you in my address book, and I hope I encourage you too! If I don't or you want me to get lost, please let me know -- thanks!


Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You will provide for all our needs even when we're confused about what they are! Please, we pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and all over the world.


Thank You again, Lord, for all in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You for those opportunities we have along with the promise of new life through You, and may we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts