The Hand That Rocks The Cat's Cradle Rules The World



This morning Sarah was up early to shower after a good night's sleep where Martha had helped her finished her Dalmatian costume for Halloween night a week from Friday (though actually she'll first wear the costume next Tuesday at Jeffrey's Cub Scout den meeting/Halloween party in our church basement), and this weekend we'll be working on Jeffrey's. He will go as a Rubik's Cube ... and no, you won't be able to turn him.

Sarah had some colored bands from her bracelet-making kit and wanted to make a cat's cradle, something I haven't done since middle school in the mid-80s (hey, if I'm dating myself here, it's not like anyone else does!), so I pulled out the iPad and looked up an instructional video for her before her brother awoke. It didn't take her long to get that down and even improve on it ... yes, she absorbs skills pretty quick, and so does Jeffrey. I just occasionally have to remind them what they have.

I have to remind myself what I have. See, I get to drive Sarah and Jeffrey to school every day; my parents didn't do that so much with me because we lived six miles away, I took the school bus. We live probably half a mile from Longfellow Elementary and quite possibly they'll walk there (or Sarah will ride, because fourth graders and up can ride) next year. It's just weird for me to see the kids in such a rush to get to school now, but in a good way. They grow up so fast.

I've just got to be there, and want to be there, as much as I can.

David

Comments

Popular Posts