Ensign: Son of Man



All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains, and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                       24 October 2014

From the beginning of the year my daughter Sarah was born (2006), I've made it a point to read a chapter in the Bible a day. Right now that schedule's put me on my third read-through of it. What can I say -- sometimes I get something really profound out of what I read, something I just scratch my head, and sometimes I'm caught between the two. Right now I'm in the Old Testament book of Ezekiel (and if you've made it this far reading from the beginning, take heart; all the books beyond Ezekiel are shorter than this!) and today's chapter that I had to read -- Ezekiel 38 -- is one I and other studiers of prophecy are familiar with.

If you're not, it's the start of a passage where a future invasion of Israel is predicted (sorry, I think you HAVE to say prophesied when talking of what's in Scripture) by everybody and his brother, spearheaded by "Gog" who's most often identified as Russia -- geographically the largest country on Earth, so plausible. Although my views tend to not be on today's nation-states of Israel, Persia (today's Iran), Ethiopia, Libya, Meshech and Tubal (roughly modern Turkey) because our modern concept of "nation" has only existed since the mid-seventeenth century, whether I'm right or wrong on elements on prophecy is not my entry to heaven or passport to hell.

I am secured in that my salvation is by the saving power of Jesus Christ, but I digress. You only see Ezekiel's name ONCE in the book (1:3) bearing his name, and every time the LORD refers to him it's as "Son of man" (about 100 times). Because he didn't know who Ezekiel was? Of course not; like Jeremiah and all of us the LORD knew "before I formed thee in the belly [at conception]; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee," (1:5), it's ultimately not you and I because of who we are -- no "look at me, LORD" here -- but because of how we let ourselves be used by Him that we become integral to His plans for the human race.

And make so mistake, none of us were born -- though sometimes it's easy to feel that way -- by accident or without a purpose! Even I wasn't. The other person called "Son of man" in Scripture, Jesus is referred to about 90 times that way. (He even gets a prophetic reference in Daniel 7:13 as the Son of man.) But what does that really mean? Both Jesus and Ezekiel were used by God as all of us can be to deliver His message of love and restoration to fellowship with Him. But angels can deliver messages too -- in fact, our English language word angel comes from a Latin root that means "messenger". None of the angels were born, they just came into being at God's direction.

Because of that, they have to step into our time -- I'm getting science fiction here, but bear with me -- to interact with people and events in our realm in ways we can understand. By being BORN, coming from a woman's womb and seeded by a man, we can relate to the people around us and serve God in a way that angels can't, then even demons indwelling us if we leave the door open can't (but won't, I know). To use a military analogy, we have boots on the ground. And no matter how we're rejected, disappointed, betrayed, grieved, or otherwise dealt harm in our lives, being the son of man is not something we can escape, short of death. We're not the Anointed One (translation of Messiah) Jesus is; depending on our spiritual gift we may not be the prophet Ezekiel was; we are just the ones who volunteer to serve our God. Which makes us sons and daughters in common cause. Amen.

From one son of man to another (and the daughters too!),

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch, and I hope to encourage you too! If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please tell me -- thank you!

I praise and I thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't always know what they are. We pray as You ask for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides on the fence and all around the world.

I praise and I thank You, Lord, for all who are in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have along with the promise of new life in You! AND I pray that we are all seeking and are preparing to have the most blessed and blessing week ever! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts