Benjamin And Eleanor Will Be Your Guides On Our Tour Of The Twelfth Century

 
 


I'd never heard of Benjamin of Tudela, and of Eleanor of Aquitaine I knew a little. What amazed me was where I found the book The Travels of Benjamin of Tudela by Uri Shulevitz (ISBN 0374377545) – in the children's section of Minot Public Library. I checked it out to read myself at the same time I checked out David Goes to School. for Jeffrey's book report last week. More than a hundred years before Marco Polo's travels, Benjamin traveled from his home in the Jewish quarter of Tudela, Spain by barge, foot, wagon, and ship through southern Europe, southwestern Asia, and up the Nile through Egypt and back home through the Mediterranean (known then as the Great) Sea on a fourteen-year journey. First traveler to mention China, arrived in Baghdad on the one day of the year the caliph – the then-king of the Islamic world – appeared to his subjects in their capital city, saw Mount Sinai (but didn't climb it, hah!) and relates other stories he hears. Almost Herodotus with a yarmulke …
 


Then you have my contender for best-worded title I've read this year (only 44 days in, but it's still impressive), A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver by E. L. Konigsburg. ISBN 0440472016 Scarlet refers to Eleanor's royal robe and miniver – I did not know this – refers to that white fur used as the trim on said robe. Anyway, this queen of England and France (Aquitaine present-day southwestern France) along with others relates, from the perspective of the afterlife (I don't know what Konigsburg's views on the afterlife were as she died last year – it seems reflected as a proto-Catholic view in this book, where if you weren't a Saint you had “Hell to pay” before coming up to Heaven, but I digress) – her life from being young and learning her duties as a royal to surviving two husbands. (If you still don't recognize Eleanor of Aquitaine, some of her children may ring bells – Richard I, perhaps better known as Richard the Lionhearted, and John who became king after his death of Robin Hood fame.) So we're approaching the 13th century too.
 


NOW from the perspective of the 21st, after getting home last night and everyone had pretty much fended off hunger by eating what they chose too since the ground turkey we took out that morning hadn't thawed yet, we settled in to eat, and then to read chapter eight of Humphrey, the book about the hamster that's been assigned to Longfellow for families to read together. It's an engaging book I must give you that! AND overnight we had a fresh inch and a half of snowfall, so much so – but not as much as we were expecting – that it was a good idea to brush off our cars (which Jeffrey was super-eager to help me with, leaving our girls alone) and shovel the sidewalk. Nothing compared to what regions south and east of us are getting, I understand … saw a news item this morning that New York City has snow plows on twelve-hour shifts. Not to brag, but in our part of the country that's the white stuff we are used to … shoveling and otherwise.
 
 
 

And like Marco Polo, I have not told half of what I saw.





David

Comments

Popular Posts