I'm coming, of course.




WORD COUNT: 28,468



Eleven score and seventeen years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent,



Jeffrey said this as he was sitting with his legs crossed on the floor this morning so deadpan it was funny as we were debating whether to let Sarah go to school today or not. I picked her up yesterday after lunch at Longfellow because she said she was sick to her stomach – and considering that Grandma and I picked up Jeffrey Friday after he'd thrown up in the lunchroom and Martha and I dealt with the chills, the lightheadedness, and assorted symptoms of the flu Sunday night (and for Martha Monday as well; heck, Sunday night I had to sleep fully clothed, full jacketed, gloved, and under three blankets I was so cold), it was likely she'd throw up herself (and she did five times last night, so I heard). The four of us went to Longfellow this morning and I was talking to Mrs. Johnson, Jeffrey's teacher whom I caught coming out of the supply room about one or two things while it was advised that Sarah stay home today because her stomach was still acting up and she felt like she would throw up.



a new nation, conceived in Liberty,



Brought her to Grandma's this morning, so I don't know if she has or has slept off the flu bug as of this writing … now as to reading, I've made sure the kids keep up with that. And this morning they each got to read a piece I expect no one in their class will: the latest letter from the child I sponsor through Compassion International, a seven-year-old boy from El Salvador named Jefferson. Obviously, they read the English translation of said letter which was on the other side of the sheet I received; when Jeffrey got to read it, he said out of the blue that he wanted to learn Spanish and when Sarah said “Spanish? In first grade?” rather incredulously, I replied that it's very possible – in fact, the earlier you start to learn a new language, the more likely it will stick with you. And one day soon, with the volume of writing my kids have seen me do as well as reading (and asking some very cogent questions about it), we may see a work “Traducido de los Ingleses por Jeffrey Alvin” in a bookstore near you …



and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.



And for closing today – I was going to go into some books I'd read and a movie the kids and I saw together, but I think they can wait, especially since I'm behind on MY book I'm writing this month (check my word count) – I want to celebrate the one hundred fiftieth anniversary of these words. And no, you cannot write to the Gettysburg Address!

Without much aplomb, David






Bliss Copy

Ever since Lincoln wrote it in 1864, this version has been the most often reproduced, notably on the walls of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. It is named after Colonel Alexander Bliss, stepson of historian George Bancroft. Bancroft asked President Lincoln for a copy to use as a fundraiser for soldiers (see "Bancroft Copy" below). However, because Lincoln wrote on both sides of the paper, the speech could not be reprinted, so Lincoln made another copy at Bliss's request. It is the last known copy written by Lincoln and the only one signed and dated by him. Today it is on display at the Lincoln Room of the White House.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863






Comments

Popular Posts