Ensign: Forgive us our shallow thankfulness.




All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

 

 

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 8 November 2013

 

 

WORD COUNT: 11,108

 

 

Today's title is a line I've heard in our call to worship the last few Sundays in church and it's stuck with me. I know to be thankful, I know how to be thankful to God certainly, but does it really stay with me? Taking a moment to look at the Ten Commandments, the first four of which deal with how we're to relate to the Almighty (Exodus 20:1-11, beginning with "I am the LORD thy God ... thou shalt have no other gods before me.") and the remaining six with how we're to relate to each other (verses 12-17, beginning with "Honor thy father and thy mother,") it's easy to see how we can get automatic doing those -- or for that matter, any actions that God commands to be done.

 



But God doesn't command us to thank Him, does He?

 



THAT'S how we can get shallow. When we often feel that following "da rules" is what limits our enjoyment of life, a closer look at the lives we once once we dig our heads out of Scripture yields quite a different picture. Did I just sound really weird saying that, suggesting we draw our attention away from what I earnestly believe is the Word of God? But that it what Jesus -- and I believe we can agree on this -- is doing when pronouncing "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!" in the twenty-third chapter of Matthew, eight times. In the chapter before the Oliver Discourse that gives us signs of world's end.

 

 

Coming to a lifetime nearest you.

 

 

It's tough for me to be thankful, at least, if all you're doing (or You're doing, please forgive me that) is pointing out my flaws! So I can empathize a little with the scribes and Pharisees here, not because I'm necessarily ... though I know I am. Perhaps not in the way you reading this are, but it still gets me in trouble. I sin. Take a look at Jesus' parables and you will see when more than one person is involved (besides God the Father, for He is involved in every one) it's a contrast between the person who is thankful and the person who isn't. The person or people who are prepared and the person or people who aren't.

 

 


Remember the elder brother in the Enemy's story.
 

 

The quote above from C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters refers to the parable of the prodigal son in the fifteenth chapter of Luke, and -- the quote, that is -- is supposed to be said by a senior devil to his junior (hence God would be "the Enemy"). We can easily cite the examples of the wise and foolish virgins in Matthew 25, the wicked husbandmen and the servants and son in Mark 12, the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16, the Pharisee and the publican in Luke 18, among others. It's not that thanks is DEMANDED of us. It's that when we are thankful, we understand the relationship a little better between they (or They) who give and we who are being given. What our parents have given to us, what we give to our children, and ultimately what our Father in heaven gives to all creation.

 

 

Lord, please forgive me for my shallow thankfulness.

 

 

David

 

 

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!

 

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.

 

 

Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts