143 Bees Are Jeffrey's Friends

I learned about the 143 this weekend in the text messages Martha and I have exchanged the last few days while I'm here in Minot with the kids and she is with her bowling league at state tournament in Bismarck. At first when I saw it in my phone I admit I thought it was one of Martha's bowling scores, and our niece Breanna who's staying there told my wife that's probably what I'd think. But she told me in the next message after I said “congratulations” that “143” is a code for “I love you”, the numbers each representing the number of letters in a word. I is 1, love is 4, you is 3. I like it.

This morning I brought the kids to school myself in our Town & Country van (and with all the snow we've had and are expecting until Wednesday, had to get pushed out of our driveway), but due to heavy snow in Bismarck Martha and her team weren't able to come home; part of the interstate from Bismarck to Underwood south of Minot was closed, most major roads were closed and some still are, and I learned about this when we were at church during Sunday school. Krista and I had three fourth graders while Sarah and Jeffrey were among the kindergarten through second graders who got to meet with their prayer partners and participate in several Minute To Win It-type games designed, I'm told, for maximum comedic value. (I get to do this with my prayer partner in a few weeks …)

All for a very Merry Unbirthday Party! (Martha just texted me before 1 pm CST that after lunch she and her friends will attempt to drive back to Minot through the snow; please pray with me for them.) Sunday after church, the kids and I picked up some needed fixings for spaghetti that I made that night and went to Story Time over at Main Street Books, where Clare (who graduates high school next month, we'll miss her) read two stories and then worked with the kids – oh, Brooke who's Bridger's brother was there too – on two 100-piece jigsaw puzzles. I tried to help with the golden retriever and puppies (the puzzle they did first) and the bee (the second one, which explains the remainder of today's title) but Jeffrey put his hand out and said “no, daddy”. My kids are growing up SO FAST, I mock sob!

It IS hard to convey to my kids that as Sarah and Jeffrey are brother and sister are gonna need to count on each other, so they probably shouldn't be kicking and pushing each other around. Of course, I've also heard that they (and any siblings) ideally stand up for each other if anyone ELSE picks on 'em, so am I worrying too much? Since Martha didn't head out with her bowling league until about 9:30 Saturday morning, I was finally able to get to church for Breakfast with the Boys, a fellowship I've missed for weeks. And ate good too. And this weekend the kids and I have played together, worked together cleaning (some of) the house, and given away a few things. Works out great, even in snow!

143,

David

Comments

Popular Posts