We Live In Sesquipedalian Times



Today's long word came to mind after I'd been asked -- more accurately, read a post on Facebook before I left the house this morning, and then got asked by someone else I've known for years -- what Christian denomination I'd come from. Sheri who actually asked me knew I'd grown up in Beulah Baptist, a Southern Baptist church in Florida and asked me what I see as a difference or differences between that and Bethany Lutheran of the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America where I'm a member now. The seventh church I've been a member of in my lifetime so far. Usually for me the difference in Christian denominations is simply ... sesquipedalian to me, essentially long worded and long winded. But the straightest answer I could come up with right then (dang, I hate not having an answer when I'm asked for it!) was that you knew what you were supposed to be doing where I grew up. Maybe it's age that makes it harder for me to know, or rather do what I know is God's call.


That's my deep thought which I could expand on.


But I am trying to keep down my sesquipedalian tendencies. (That's the last time I will use that word today, I promise!) As for this weekend, a large part of it was spent doing great and needed things as a family; that is, with me, Martha, Sarah, and Jeffrey together. After I got home from Breakfast With The Boys which for the first time this year I was able to go to by myself (because Martha took the day off from Burger King so she could be with us for Sarah's clarinet solo at Magic City Campus that morning and for her family birthday party; our daughter's eleven tomorrow but we've been doing birthday things all weekend), we brought Sarah to Magic City -- essentially Minot's junior high school -- and she played very well. As we were traveling the halls, I was reminded so much of the bigger high schools that I'd go to for competitions when I was high school age in the late 1980s. My high school was 500 people and my graduating class was about 79.


Then we got the needed groceries for the house.


Then we got to eat ourselves, and on Sunday in addition to worship was our annual Sunday School Carnival and Silent Auction over at Bethany which was a lot of fun and we've got quite a few things from there. One other thing about Saturday: courtesy of our local Salvation Army store, we are now the proud owners of a Keurig machine for only eight dollars and fifty cents. And it even came with a story, which the cashier told us: her son had gotten it from a former girlfriend and had only used it for six months before putting it in storage. Since her son's now married to someone else, he didn't want it around so that's how it ended up in the store! Sunday after church and resting ourselves we bought Sarah's really big presents from us -- Jeffrey got her a Bounce-Off game (blending Connect Four and Toss Across) and Martha and I got this giant emoji pillow. And tomorrow we're all going out for birthday dinner at the restaurant of her choice!

You want to know where come back tomorrow,


David

Comments

Popular Posts