The Power of Saints and Swingers



Law 1. Never outshine the master


Yesterday the kids weren't in school for a Minot Public Schools Comp Day (we don't get so many of those at work) so they were at my in-laws' house visiting with Martha's parents and their aunt Mary who helped them Sunday put together the Valentine's Day boxes they took to school today and their cousin Josceline and their other cousin Breanna's daughter Avery sleeping on the couch again. I'm spacing right now; what do you call the child of your cousin? Once removed, I think ...


Law 2. Never put too much trust in friends, learn how to use enemies


Once removed, twice shy? Anyway, for our Valentine's Day today Martha specifically asked me NOT to get her anything. And it wasn't in the voice where she says she doesn't want something and then will be really disappointed when she doesn't get something from me ... this morning before she left for work she asked me did I get her anything. I said no, and as Martha's birthday was a week ago Saturday and we treated her well on that, she was happy and I commit to her remaining so.


Law 4. Always say less than necessary


It sounds almost disparaging to be thankful that Martha is so low maintenance in the sense of she doesn't appreciate the flowers and candy and jewelry (although there are moments I think she thinks she's not worthy of them or my attentions as much as I give her) but I am. And as we approach the tenth anniversary of being in our house in Minot and actually having the payments caught up, hallelujah, I am being thankful for the small things for all of us.


Law 9. Win through your actions, never through argument


Some of the big things might land us in prison, where I've read Robert Greene's debut book The 48 Laws of Power (ISBN 0140280197) is quite popular reading. I picked this up a few weeks ago and I don't remember where I opened it -- probably where the $10,000 US bill bookmark was -- but I remember laughing at whatever it is I read. I include some laws here today and the book itself, peppered with examples, reads like Dale Carnegie if he'd been one of Star Trek's Ferengi.


Law 16. Use absence to increase respect and honor


For those of us who want power, watch power, or want to arm ourselves against power this comes in very handy. I expect that's practically everybody. And going back to the prison comment, you have to wonder if this book's had some effect on at least the United States' high recidivism -- that's the ten-dollar word for someone who's been in prison likely to be going back to prison -- rate. It's important to pay attention to the reversals, lest you end up in one!


Law 25. Re-create yourself


And then to William P. Barker's Saints and Swingers: The Under-Thirties in the Bible. LOC 72-149375 This I picked up in my church library where it may have been sitting for a few decades. I wouldn't say the references are entirely out of date, though chapters beginning with "The Hippy", "The Tough-Breaks Kid", and "The Playboy" among others connecting with Cain, Joseph, and Samson among other characters enable you to look at them, at least they did me, with new eyes.


Law 36. Disdain things you cannot have; Ignoring them is the best revenge


Occasionally that is exactly what we need. Though I was born in the 70s (one tagline: Can the Age of Abraham speak to the Age of Aquarius?) it's not really formative of my own character -- some would say lack thereof -- as much as the 80s is, that I'm conscious of at least. But then you've got Cyril and Methodius, two 9th century missionaries to the Slavs who are commemorated by the Lutheran Church today for their efforts. I'd say written Russian (Cyrillic) has some formation on all of us.


Da! (And power!)


David   

Comments

Popular Posts