The Planet Had Reached Its Best Before Date

Thirteen years ago ...

Luke 5:1-11                                                                  February 8
ministry to refugees in NE Indiana                              10402.08


And Simon answering [Jesus] said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will lay down the net.
And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of fishes: and their net broke.


I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit. I will forgive those who criticize me unjustly.


Talk in terms of the other person's interests.


I had my first day in Sunday School today, and I can be better prepared than I was. It's not so much that I did a bad job; I just didn't do a great one. For Lacey, Haddie, Caleb, Kaitlyn, Alexis, Breann, and Wyatt to have someplace fun and engaging to come to makes a difference. Also bringing treats -- sorry, I still can't accept the mindset that requires feeding kids' faces, particularly with candy, as a reward for learning -- is something I need to do. I say Jenna (who teaches the other first grade class with Kelsey) and though she's out of bed, she's still "loopy" on a lot of medication. I pray she gets better and that we notice.


Fforde, Jasper. The Eyre Affair. New York: Viking, 2001.


An alternate 1985 England (I say that because Wales is independent) takes its literature very seriously. In this world, Spec-Op-27 Thursday Next is trailing Acheron Hades, the third most wanted criminal through London, Swindon, and into the pages of Jane Eyre before he can change (literary) history. The characters are very well-drawn and the unconventional plot, even to a non-reader of Bronte or Dickens, is enough to keep the reader turning pages to the end! Just be careful not to pass through the Prose Portal (by which someone can enter a story or a poem and change it) or let your work be eaten by Bookworms (like I've let this one)! The plot thickens and, with blurbs from works in the literary world opening each chapter, never leaves you hanging.


I noticed all this but most of all I noticed the quiet; the quiet of a world free from flying machines, traffic and large cities. The industrial age had only just begun; the planet had reached its Best Before date.


And now that I read that quote from The Eyre Affair at the end of that entry, I see it's an early climate change tract. So here's how my handwritten journal entry went that day:


Bible passage, date, prayer need, stardate, The Holy Bible, Og Mandino's The Greatest Salesman In The World, Dale Carnegie's How To Win Friends And Influence People (I was reading and studying sections from all those at the time), something about what I was doing that day, and at last a review of a book I'd read. This isn't the only reason I chose my Wednesday entry for Throwback (it's usually Thursday, but I had a hard time finding a February 9 journal entry with some meat) but sometimes I used to say so much more. Not only because this was before kids -- just look at the date, Sarah won't be born for another two years!


And Jeffrey for three.


As we were getting ready for the kids to get to school this morning I got to help Jeffrey with his spelling words for the week as well as sign that form AGAIN to have lunch with him on the 24th. The caps aren't out of exasperation -- well, maybe they are at the fifteen below weather we started with today -- but I have to say hallelujah that the furnace at my workplace got fixed! It was forty-two when I got here and The Answer To The Ultimate Question is not very comforting! When it's cold enough that the ink stops in the pens customer use, that's a real pain. Amazing the difference a burnt-out wire can make.


But it's supposed to get warmer here, up to the forties by the weekend.

I look forward to that, David









Comments

Popular Posts