The Organized And Planned Transition Of Command

Today's title comes from Major General Peter Lennon of the United States Army Reserve Command who oversaw Sunday's change of command ceremony at Moffett Field, California for the 63rd Regional Support Command that oversees seven states and 44,000 soldiers. The command passed from Major General Nickolas Tooliatos to Major General Brian Alvin.


My brother.


Technically half-brother since we both have the same dad but different mothers. There only one time I recall us meeting face-to-face and that was at our dad Robert Alvin, Sr.'s memorial service ... are we really coming on ten years since that in November 2006 (he died in October, but neither of us could be there for that)? Almost blows what I planned to write about out of the water.


Almost.


Last night at church we began our Bible study of the book of Jeremiah. Feel free to ask; when I read the lesson on Sundays, I would say "the book of the prophet Jeremiah", and I was asked to read the first few verses of the first chapter of that Old Testament book due to my facility with names. (I say them well, or at least I sound convincing!)


And I really needed the study and fellowship time, among the sixteen of us there.


While I was at Bible study after work and Martha was putting in an evening shift at Burger King, Sarah and Jeffrey our children were enjoying how dish made by Grandma at my in-laws' house! Sarah got in some needed practice on her clarinet, and Jeffrey helped set up Halloween decorations in the house facing outward. I'm afraid of all our immediate family in Minot, we're the ones who bother

the least with decoration.

No, not really afraid. I've just never seen a big deal in dragging decorations upstairs every holiday season to impress your neighbors or awe your friends -- at least that's what it seems like to me. But in a way doing that is our civilian and cultural planned transition of command. But saying that, I'm delving into Ensign territory.


Ah, what else to tell you that's safe to tell you ...


Today here in Minot's the first day of Norsk Høstfest, our annual area Scandinavian heritage celebration with all sorts of fun things to do and performers to see. The kids told me Monday after I picked them up about one of the Vikings (not those Minnesota ones) who showed up at their school for a presentation and Jeffrey even recalled having lunch with him.

Will we get there this year? We'll see.


David





Comments

Popular Posts