Mercy Me Drinks Cider While Watching The Aurora Borealis

 

 
 
And there we have a title today that combines the early bird word, the artist of the day, and the morning show challenge word for Family Rewards. Martha listens to it most days on Pandora because the radios in both our vehicles are kaput, and they are not considered -- when we can only budget so much for car repairs; heck, on our Elantra we still have to roll down the driver's side window to open the door from the outside! -- high priority systems. And this morning I took our Town & Country van (I guess we can trade off vehicles now that the weather is actually above zero; it was 16 this morning but still watch out for the wind) to bring Sarah and Jeffrey to their six-month checkup at Dakota Kids Dentistry. It wasn't all roses, but what we found out we really can't do anything about -- Sarah has a cavity in a molar, but it's one of her teeth due to come out anyway, and Jeffrey has three brown spots on his teeth but they aren't from cavities.


Apparently the enamel on three of Jeffrey's bottom teeth didn't seal properly when they grew in, and we had to schedule an appointment for the following Thursday to get it done. Did that. Then I got them to school, grabbed some coffee at church on Thursday mornings, and came in to the office. Oh wait, one more thing ... Main Street Books opens at ten weekday mornings, thirty minutes before I have to be at my office, so I stop in there and catch snatches of Danielle reading stories to little kids, some really strong coffee, and maybe a book of two I glance through that interests me. (I signed up for that 2015 Reading Challenge and I'll probably be done with it by March, for you who know me!) I went in today and there was a used book sale -- all the used books you can fit into a small store-supplied paper bag for five bucks and tax. I fit sixteen, and if I'd paid full price -- used books are already reduced price there -- I'd look at a FORTY-EIGHT dollar capital outlay!


Less is more. And for the graphic novel (I wanted to pick a new one, and not something published by one of the Big Two) I'm to read I'm tossed between two I checked out of the Minot Public Library earlier this week, Celeste written and illustrated by I.N.J. Culbard (ISBN 9781906838768) and The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys writers Gerard Way and Shaun Simon with artist Becky Cloonan (ISBN 9781595824622). I may have to read them again to "get" them, and there's no shame in that. The first book has three people in different parts of the world when everyone else has vanished with their reactions to it, dream and otherwise, and the other's a coming-of-age ... I guess you'd call it that, the ten-dollar word for it is bildungsroman ... of a girl who was saved by the Killjoys from an all-consuming megacorporation at the cost of their lives, and now she's going to learn why. But aren't we all in a constant learning process that way?  


Very pleasing to my optic sensors, David

Comments

Popular Posts