Ensign: Remembering Jason Peters



All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                                  9 January 2015

I first read Jason had died in his sleep on New Year's Day.

This makes him the fourth classmate of mine I'm aware of from my high school graduating class who has died in twenty-five years. (This June it's REALLY going to be a quarter-century since I graduated high school? Wow.) A few days ago I asked Jason's mom if it was ok for me to post an Ensign with this title, and she said she would be honored that I did so. I pray I live up to that kind of endorsement.

I first met Jason in first grade when I had just moved to Florida from Illinois myself, and we got to be good friends -- at least from my point of view. I still remember the first time he came over to my house, maybe two, three years later and he said he could only stay a few hours. We were having such a good time -- again, from my POV -- that I forgot to let him know time was up. By about two hours!

I think he came over once more for my ninth (tenth?) birthday party, the only one I've ever had. After that, we still met in school of course, we had a lot of the same classes, and after graduation we drifted apart as all people are wont to do, even people who live in the same town! You and I can both attest to this. The last thing I majorly remember about something Jason said/wrote to me isn't good.

I don't remember exactly what I said or how I said it, but when I announced through an Ensign in 2002 that Martha and I were getting married, Jason shot me back an email that said something like I may be happy that I'm marrying the woman I love, but he was equally happy if not more so with the man he loves and how dare I look down on him for that! (I don't think I even knew about that.)

Most people who claim the blood of Jesus over their lives get that kind of knee-jerk reaction, even if they don't say a thing, as though we're expected to "put up our dukes" and fight what we don't agree with at every turn. Don't get me wrong, Jason and I still kept in touch intermittently until a year or two ago, for various reasons.

And to be honest, after I moved from Florida in 2002 I lost touch with pretty much everybody I had grown up with. That's one reason I am thankful for being online -- sometimes I may admit more than I should, but I have a lot to remember and I write it down so I don't have to remember -- because I find people I haven't seen in years, maybe decades, as well as strike up new friendships.

At least that is what I hope they are, and that people see me that way -- as someone who is at least friendly, if we can't be friends. (This can happen.) But I can't control others' perception of me any more than you can control others' perception of you. Pause. Sometimes I hate that. But sometimes I also see, at first reluctantly, that God's in charge of every relationship that I have.

Even the sinful ones. (Yes, I used the "s" word, deal with it.) This is not a sermon, not a litany, not an obituary -- you may argue not even a devotion -- but sometimes we just have to step back and realize there where you and I are right now is a result of dozens of little decisions we have made. Maybe you see this right now and maybe you don't, but I pray that you will see it.

And THE decision, whether or not you ask Jesus Christ to enter your life as Savior and Lord not only has the most eternal -- grammar's right, but as eternal is forever it seems redundant; how is something MORE forever -- consequences, can be made AT THE LAST MINUTE. (Witness thief #2 on the cross next to Jesus.) No works required, except your saying yes.

Yes.

I think that's what we're to say about life every minute we have it.

Yes.

Yes we get moody, yes we get hurt, yes we get ridiculous, but we can affirm our lives every minute by living them, by living them to the best possible ability we have. Sure I can drag out Jesus saying that He came that we may have life, and have it more abundantly ... but it's life that you have to want, it won't just be thrown at you. From all I hear of Jason, he said yes to life quite a lot.

"The kindest person I ever met." Boiled down besides the typical sympathies, this is what several of my classmates have said about him. I can only hope -- I say "hope" and not "pray" because the latter works only if I'm actively doing something to achieve it -- that I have some superlative said about me should I die before God calls us home to heaven.

Yes, I will remember.

David

P. S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages you too. If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please let me know -- thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in praise and prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even the ones we don't know we have! Let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.

Thank You, Lord, for all of us in leadership and service here and abroad, as well as for opportunities we have and the promise of new life! I pray we all seek and have a blessed week. Amen. 

 

Comments

Popular Posts