Pick A Card, Any Card!




[I just realized as I was preparing to deliver today's post that this should go out tomorrow the sixteenth of the month, so I'd be past the fifteenth, the halfway point of the month, with these assorted updates and interestingly-worded comments. But I had no other plans and my personal electronics want to avoid the axe; have a great time, and you know the rules: no personal references unless they're public figures, the opinions expressed are not necessarily MY opinions, and just go until you pick something you like! -- David]

1. Just had several people give me weird looks when I got mayonnaise in the caf at the college.. I'm guessing it's cuz it's not Duke's (/_\)

2. Going dark is always a possibility. It is within our nature. It is a deep seated disease spread from the point of eating the fruit. It survives and is spread through the generations only getting worse as it goes. We find new and more dastardly ways to kill each other. We enter in darkness.
There is only one way to remain free. Steadfastness in the life and mind of Christ. He is the one mote light in the ocean of black. Some burn bright from the black and then fade. Some lightly glow until their time is up. Steadfastness and obedience are the only options to keep from burning out. The choice is up to us.

3.
This has been a very EXHILIARATING & procutive day....and just THINK...we got tomorrow TOO!!

4. Thana, you hold the key to your destiny. Only you. The True Council and your mother can weigh in and yet, STILL only you, The Sword, can choose. Choose to be a bright burning beacon of love and hope in an otherwise dark world. Choose to remember humans, even with our morals and ideals are still base lifeforms capable of dark deeds and also of love. Alternatively, you can choose to let your light burn out and become just another rusted discarded sword. I for one, hope the latter option is never considered but you are THE WRITER of your own story.

5. I, just do not get it sometimes. Last night after I got off from work I had to go to Walmart and stop by Circle K for gas. As,I was being checked out at Walmart, I was asked a Dumb question? "Where do you work?" "And are they hiring?" I thought a minute and replied. Securitas on Centenary Blv is where you need to go file out a application. Then the guy said he was new here and didn't know where it was. I told him to look the number up and call for directions. The cashier had already irritated me by how he was bagging my items. I had everything together, such as cold stuff, non perishable things; etc.. Of course nothing was bagged right. I just shook my head when I left. Well, I go get gas. As, I was paying for my gas I was asked the same question again by the cashier?"What Security Company do you work for?" I paused. I had to bite my tongue....I really wanted to ask the girl could she read? I mean come on I was still in uniform and the name of the company which I work for on my shirt. Are people really that blind?! Duh! lol

6. THE STUPIDITY, IT BURRRRRRNNNNNSSS!

7. I just ran upstairs after switching out a load of laundry....now
if only I could remember why I was in such a hurry to rush upstairs......

8. God doesn't give you the people you want, he gives you the people you need.

9. When your 3 year old twins asks if it's possible to make pink and blue chocolate chip cookies, you make it happen Savannah was saying today is the best day ever.

10. The dad that I worked for today was stuck n horrific traffic. So he called someone to relieve me stating he didn't know if I had plans. Which I actually did. On top of that paid for extra hr. He's a business owner & I see y his biz is flourishing!

11. so Jack and the Scotsman fight Leprechauns and get the Rule 63 [evidently this is a comic book rule where characters change gender] curse...WHY AREN'T YOU GUYS READING THIS COMIC!

12. David Alvin and Margaret Atwood shared a link.
[Yes, the author Margaret Atwood! Apparently she's the first contributor to a literary archive that won't be read for another hundred years ... -- David]

13. HAS DETAILS. OBAMA CONCEALS. BACHMANN EXPOSES

14. A superhero wears A cape, you live in THE Cape...coincidence?

15. Picking up race packet! Was getting new running shirt and girl said thats too big! Gotta stop hiding my sexiness

16. Maybe I missed out on what I planned today, but I LOVE what this message turned into!

17. Who wants to come kick my butt for me? I have had a heck of time getting going with Combat for the last 3 weeks, so I haven't been doing it like I should. On the bright side, I have been able to keep the weight off. On the not so bright side, I'm not losing either. I'm gonna give Combat another shot, before I end up going back to Insanity.

18. Met [Margaret Atwood] in person & as a lover of Canadian literature ,was wondering if we could make it two or three centuries before we have to hear that voice again~~more self righteous than a story teller,if it wasn't for the CBC no one in Canada would know who she is,other than the 'art' critics,tax grands & friends in high places

19. *person ads me back as a friend*
Me: "Oh! Time to go look through all their pictures" *laughs evily*

20. I can't believe the difference this move has made in [the poster's son]. He is studying and knows all his square roots to 25. He told Denver and I tonight --I think I am going to try and go to college!! Wow!! And he also said Mom using a calculator has ruined me. I can't remember how to divide.. Teacher friends food for thought!!

21. Umm! Silky needs a volunteer!!

22. Somehow, I knew you, Sir David, would be among the first to step up. I am so impressed I forgot why I asked!

23. Batman vs the Doctor. How accurate a scenario is this?

Batman figures out who the Doctor is and what the TARDIS is, but can't get in, and the Doctor goes back in time to save his parents. Batman never exists, maybe Bruce Wayne becomes a less severe, clinical, and frightening hero, and instead becomes a much happier hero, but he never becomes Batman.

24. every major revival throughout history happened when lay people met together and prayed .... not just "professional Christians" meeting to pray .... housewives , carpenters etc... so desperate to see change... coming together believing God for the change ... knowing only God can do it.... i have been reading about a time in history .... suffrage . temperance and abolition where the political agendas of the day and a group of lay people started meeting in new york to pray ....as a result one of the biggest revivals in the modern church happened . the revival happened not in new york but along the tennessee river banks ... we say we want revival .... let us meet with God and pray .... we have young people in wars that point to the Ancient of Days ...... we must pray ...... the change i want to see cannot come from a politician ... or any earthly place the change that is needed has to come from the One that created it all ... He is the only way to endure what we are seeing ... we must humble ourselves and pray .... even when i don't know what to pray (which is often) .... Lord hear our cries and before we can ask i know You are answering us and before we can even finish praying You bring it about ........ amen ..... have a blessed day everyone ..... no more books for awhile

25. Drama queens drive me crazy. Where should be a wand to just *poof* them away.

26. Some things can't be cured...but I sure want that vaccine...and I want my children to have them as well. The pharmaceutical industry and the oil industry are typically cast as totally evil. But, see what will happen to 7 Billion people if they both disappeared today.

27. Star Trek is 48 today. [This was posted September 8.] Amazing. This television show shaped my growing up in ways that I can't even express. I looked towards a future where gender and race would not hold a person back from the success they wanted to succeed, where women could be strong and intelligent leaders, where science and math and arts were equally embraced because education was valued, where humans could find ways to get past their differences and live in peace with each other as well as those completely different from us in so many ways - a future that was Gene Roddenberry's vision of more equality and peace. An ideal we are far from seeing come to fruition, however a world with many scientific and technological marvels. Amazingly we have some of the very technology envisioned in Star Trek, proving that when we put our minds to good works we can accomplish many amazing things!

Sign me up for the Star Trek future. I want to go boldly where no one has gone before!!!!

(but not that weird JJ Abrams blowing everything up future. Roddenberry's future!)

28. The joy I receive is so much bigger than the cost of a few dollars , seeing someone surprised by being remembered on their birthday when no one else did. Their smile speaks multitudes.

29. People! TRAGEDY has befallen the State of Oz!!!!!!!!

We are out of chocolate chips and I have no chocolate order form.

Everyone is ordered to dress in sackcloth and weep and wail because... TRAGIC!!!!!!!

30. That's what "Ozma of Oz" (the third of Baum's Oz books, and the first one where Ozma as ruler of Oz first flexes her muscles, so to speak) is, you know -- a novel about power politics. Almost Machiavelli for kids, because Ozma and her people cross the desert to free the royal family of Ev from their enchantments and then make the then-de facto Nome King (not "Gnome", this is important; it's Baum's successors/impostors who added the G) no longer the chief power in Ev ... it makes sense to have friendly powers around you.

31. The moment you realize you've read 217 pages in a 2 and half hour period. Yeah, that's probably why I don't read much any more, I get sucked into a book and usually finish it in one day. The twins must have been bored cuz they are passed out right beside me on the couch.

32. no wit I am still there. I cut a big chuck of my family, because the bring me down and I am sick and tired. I don't think we should place our own sanity at risck
[This was a person's response to their own question:
"Have you ever had to cut someone out of your life because of their negative outlook?"]

33. You shouldn't judge these old Batgirl stories by today's expectations of female portrayals in fiction. Female characters were still finding their way in the 70's. Instead of being "disappointed", use the opportunity to discuss with your daughters how these portrayals have changed in comics throughout the years. Overall, Batgirl is a more than competent crime-fighter and detective, who has managed to solve many cases without having to be rescued by some man. Aside from being one of Gotham's guardians, she's a college educated woman, and even had a Political career as a Congresswoman. When compared to the sexed-up, "kick-ass" female characters in comics today, THIS portrayal of Batgirl is, in my opinion, a much better role-model for girls.

34. I work harder as a stay at home wife/mom then I did at a full time job!!! My boys really love me being home and I would not trade this life for anything!!!

35. So, I finished a novel this morning and didn't tell any of you. But, I'm telling you now because I'm proud of my silly self. YAY!

36. [The poster's husband] is working on spaghetti, garlic bread, and salad for supper. At 7 [her husband] and I go to check out our first square dancing lesson YEP! Square dancing. [Her husband] is excited and we're making it into a weekly date night. He was very proud of himself for setting this up for us. We've been together for 13 years (this November), and married for 8 years (next month). I am so thankful to have a husband that still loves to go on new adventures with me! He's not afraid to try new things with me even if it is something that may seem silly or we might both be awful at. We'll have lots of fun memories to look back on! Wish us luck at our first square dancing lesson I've heard those little old ladies can really move it! Couldn't ask for a better husband. He adores his children, gives them more than what he ever had growing up and they are his world. I'm so glad he is an active father who participates and cares about what goes on with his children. He's not into drinking or drugs, and isn't more worried about his friends than his family. He loves to work hard for his family, he isn't worried about how many 'girl friends' he can get, he'll tell you his self he has his hand full with the one wife he has, haha (Aw come on, I'm not THAT terrible, hahaha). We've been together since we were 17 And I'm glad we're still together. We've had rough patches (mainly through [their youngest son's] cancer, and I remember the one bit of advice I got the first week of [that son's] diagnosis from another cancer mom "Don't let cancer ruin your marriage, because it can if you let it, don't let cancer win ANYWHERE!" Whatever the problems we've had, we work it out, we talk it through. He's my best friend, but also the one who can test my patience the most. However, he is the only person who knows when I'm hurting (even when I'm excellent at hiding it from everyone else). He can make me laugh when no one else can. He stays a kid at heart just enough to make me not be "too grown up" most of the time! I know that [she refers to her husband] always has my back and I always have his.

37. I am becoming a real Dominican girl, I wash my cloths by hand and hang it to dry.
notices all my clothes are black or black and White, very odd for Dominicans. Well I am not entirely there yet.

38. I heard the song I'm not self-centered 7 times the normal, immediately some Zeb treated!?! Hahahahahaha

39. If you're a racist..........you're a SUCKER, and you're doing more to help the forces of evil than you can even imagine!!!

They PURPOSE to set the races against each other. They want black people to blame white people - and they want white people to blame black people.......WHEN NEITHER IS THE REAL CULPRIT!!!!

The REAL ENEMY is BROWN......not black, not white.

They are the European Jews, the disinherited tribe of DAN - who have stolen the world's wealth and have perpetrated the crimes that they use to fuel dissension between blacks and whites.

Let's all be smarter than they expect us to be.........AND COMBINE FORCES, UNITING rather than being manipulated into division which serves only the purposes of the ENEMY.

40. Believers should come with a warning label: "WARNING: May contain supernatural content. Viewer discretion is advised!" (TY Steve Harmon!)

41. Here are my thoughts on home schooling: If you can give your child an education at home, do so, but remember you have to actually teach them. In order for your kid(s) to be able to succeed in life, they need a FULL education. You can't leave things out. What concerns me is the overwhelming lack of science in home school curriculum (in a lot of cases, not all). If your home schooled child can write at a 12th grade level when they're eleven years old, but can't figure out how photosynthesis works, you failed at home schooling. See what I mean? Balance...lol.

42. I went on thesaurus.com today and looked up "ninjas" only to read that "ninjas can't be found". Well played, ninjas!

43. Hate when I get phone calls from the school saying my kid was disrespectful. Makes me feel like I am doing something wrong.

44. Torres and LaForge were good engineers, but they never really innovated.They made their ships work to their full potential, but never really pushed it further. Trip managed to make a ship that barely managed to reach warp 5 cruise at that speed for long times with only a couple years work, and Scotty is the original miracle worker. However, if you want the best engineer, its got to be O'brian. He could fix anything, and he would have to to keep DS9 running.

45. Yumm -- my house is smelling like the spicy chili cooking in the crock pot for dinner tonight. Although I do question my decision to make this on a day it is currently 70 degrees out?

46. Some women want flowers and diamonds, give me power tools.. Working on building a dog house, including a heat lamp for winter. My allergies have been so terrible since getting the dogs, they will have to be outside animals. Unfortunately I just broke the blade on the reciprocating saw, so if I were replacement blades, where would I be hiding in the house.

47. According to the CPI inflation calculator at the Bureau of Labor Statistics, $778 in 1982 [for an RCA video cassette recorder (VCR)] would be $1,920.81 today.

48. I love being a Distributed Learning Student at Luther Seminary....however, I may have just found the greatest downfall.....I want to surround and be surrounded by my cohort brothers and sisters right now. I love them all so dearly and so many are hurting with death of our sister in Christ. My heart aches for Becky's family and for Cohort 4. She touched so many lives.....DL students...please hug someone today and pretend it's me. If you are in the Minot area and have a hug to give, I'll take it.

49. My heart is heavy today. I have had too many reminders in recent months that life is short....too short. Take the time to tell those in your life that you love and appreciate them.

50. Switched to chai this week but today I was running late and stopped at the evil McD's drive thru and got a triple latte. Now I feel like a squirrel on crack and I haven't even finished it yet. WHEEEEEEEEEE! *spins around in my office chair and laughs maniacally*

51. In my quest for a super large booty covering t-shirt to work out in I have discovered that at wal-mart, it doesn't matter how large you go, the t-shirts only get wider not longer. This may explain why I see so many people running around with their bellies hanging out the bottom of their shirts.

52. Kang is very much the Vandal Savage of Marvel. Somebody who isn't as cool as he thinks he is.

Comments

Popular Posts