Ensign: You Are Not Locked In!



All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains, and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                        26 September 2014

On weekends I work at one of our local supermarkets in their dairy and frozen food section. Frozen food, ice cream, and ice among others things are kept in a giant freezer that is not far above zero degrees; during the weekend I have to go in and out of there several times to restock the store's own freezer section. At about eye level there's this notice inside the door: YOU ARE NOT LOCKED IN!

What that means in supermarket parlance is that even if the door shuts behind you while you're in the colder clime, you're not stuck in there. Just press the rubber doorknob and push the door open. Of course, if that does not work then try to make fire by rubbing together the sticks you brought in for such an emergency? What's that, you didn't bring sticks? Brrr.

Zacchaeus, the tax collector from Jericho (his story appears once, in Luke 19:1-10, but it's SO important) who wouldn't let the fact that he couldn't see through the crowds keep him from seeing Jesus passing through -- he climbed the sycamore tree and out of an entire crowd Jesus "looked up, and saw him" (5) and invited Himself to dinner at his house -- unlocked his door.

Matthew, the tax collector in Capernaum was doing his job one day and Jesus was coming through town with His disciples and He just said "Follow me" and Matthew left what he had -- a pretty decent if despised occupation in Roman-occupied Judea -- and followed Him. They also had dinner at his (Matthew's) house (full story, Matthew 9:9-13) and the former tax collector had unlocked his door.

When Jesus was dying on the cross, I'm sure the temptation to come down and show YES, He was the Son of God was overwhelming, but one person would have missed out on eternity that way. Back to Luke, specifically Luke 23:42, where the second thief on his own cross who's prepared to die turns to Jesus Who is also, "Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom." Jesus says in 43,

Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

(Extended pause.) There are so many places I could go with this. If even a man on his last legs and in his last breath or series of forced breaths -- I've never been crucified, but from all accounts it is quite painful -- can unlock the door of his heart and open himself to bringing Jesus into his (or her) life, how much can you and I before we're dying?

WE are not locked in. Our attitudes, our habits, our relationships, our ages, whatever is keeping us from being the people we want to be, whatever is holding us back from a fuller life in fellowship with Jesus Christ -- we've got the key. In Revelation 3:20 where Jesus is speaking to the Laodicean church, He says "I stand at the door, and knock:

if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me." (Is it me, or is Jesus' every invitation someone accepts followed by a meal? If I'm really hungry, I expect a full meal would be paradise to me too!) Jesus won't bust the door down and nor should we who believe on Him try to. It's got to be opened from the inside.

And inside's a LOT bigger than you think. Just watch Doctor Who.

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch, and I hope to encourage you too! If I'm not or you want me to get lost, please tell me -- thank you!

I praise and I thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't always know what they are. We pray as You ask for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides on the fence and all around the world.

I praise and I thank You, Lord, for all who are in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have along with the promise of new life in You! AND I pray that we are all seeking and are preparing to have the most blessed and blessing week ever! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts