Today This Journal Entry Of Mine Is Eligible To Vote!



 
 
 
[I've written out my journal near-continuously for more than half my life. In fact, we're coming up on what I call my journal's birthday on the twentieth of this month -- easy to remember, the day of the moon landing -- and I resolved this week to share an entry of mine that, shall we say, had some meat in it? So I present to you my journal entry from this day, July 16, 1996. Enjoy your day. -- David]
 
 
 
 
Job 22:21-30 July 16
calm in the midst of anxiety 9607.16

“Submit to God and be at peace with him;
in this was prosperity will come to you.
Accept instruction from his mouth
and lay up his words in your heart.
If you return to the Almighty, you will be restored:
If you remove wickedness far from your tent
and assign your nuggets to the dust,
your gold of Ophir to the rocks in the ravines,
then the Almighty will be your gold,
the choicest silver for you.” 21-25
 
 
When I value God more than wealth (or money – see Matthew 6:24), I devalue not only Him and our relationship but also myself. The question to be asked is: am I more than I have or more than I can afford?

To desire is to achieve. – Ana Quirot

The fear of becoming a 'has been' keeps some people from becoming anything.

Eric Hoffer

Look at it this way – I am only in prison if I choose to be. John Bunyan, Fyodor Dostoevsky, Shannon Lucid – it was and is when their freedom was restricted by circumstances beyond their control that they did and do what made them immortal with something that welled through them, that lay beyond them. Solzhenitsyn said he was thankful prison had been part of his life. If Jesus Himself was not spared the personal loss, the dehumanization that it can generate within you, and what at time is beggarly loneliness, then how can I be spared?

Executives at major airlines don't get called to speak much, do they? I'm not sure what I would say either; it's just that a press conference seems to blur the line between inquiry and interrogation so frequently. An inquiry seeks truth, an interrogation establishes truth and can't adapt to the reality it exists in. We need to see the differences for what they are and interpret them with a clear mind.

Ampleforth could not find a rhyme for God because there isn't one; there is none like Him.

[And the prayer and praise requests I wrote in the side margins with this three-page entry: Honduras – working conditions there; Thy kingdom come, thy will be done – how seriously do I take that?; Emily Harrison; Chesten, Nita's brother; 2 days to Olympics; Barney's doctor appts.; Dad's appts. Thurs/Friday; TWA Flight 800, 229 persons on board this exploded (830 pm) out of Long Island; JESUS LIVES!; How the fourth estate works and how it should work; Angus' – a troubling sign of our society in Orange County; LaDonna and daughter Brittany; Brian Vanderwercken (.07) is back home!; Suzan Harrington; Dad has to find out what's wrong or be healed – I've helped him out of his chair for the last two nights; Barney's taking medication to breathe properly; Eloise Doxsee.]


I actually remember ninety percent of these things important then! But not so much now, David

Comments

Popular Posts