Ensign: My Last Letter To Jefferson







All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3




AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS 3 July 2014




For my readers in the United States, Merry Independence Day Eve!




Part of me feels like I'm digging out my heart with an ice cream scoop. Just over twenty years ago I had to do the same thing with another child I was sponsoring – I don't remember his name, but he was from the Philippines – due to more expenses coming in than I could handle at the time, I had to limit what I could do for him (which in this particular ministry was send money to the parent organization and write him the occasional letter) and eventually my participation just faded away. And I was 20.
 




Now I'm 42, and I had to cut support out completely for another little boy named Jefferson out of El Salvador – a little older than Jeffrey (who turned seven yesterday, in fact!) and in fact reminded me of him, that's why I chose to sponsor him. And for about the equivalent of last school year, through this parent organization he was able to go to school and I was able to send money to keep his support going … but then various things happened here and I couldn't maintain it.






Prayerfully, a few weeks ago I called – after getting several calls about why the organization hadn't gotten money to keep up Jefferson's sponsorship – and said with some pause and trepidation that I am sorry, but due to some prevailing financial circumstances in my life right now I can't afford to continue sponsoring Jefferson. I pray that another sponsor will sponsor him quickly, for it would be a terrible thing for Jefferson to be proverbially kicked to the curb because C. is not getting its operating capital.







But if any provide not for his own, and specially not for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.” That's 1 Timothy 5:8, but I imagine that of all the requests we hear for helping those not as “fortunate” as us you and I cannot humanly answer every one. So how do we discern which requests for help or funds or support we will acknowledge? What should get out time? I could give you a pithy Scriptural answer, but it would be wrong.


 




For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Matthew 6:21. Or maybe it's not so pithy. Let's step back for a minute and look at that whole passage from the Sermon on the Mount; Jesus is telling us in the two verses before to not accumulate – or in KJV-speak, “lay up for yourselves” – treasures on Earth, not because you and I have no need of things but because the drive to accumulate things can become so overwhelming that they and ultimately we become worthless to God's kingdom.







I want to be worth something.





Now if you'll excuse me, I have a letter to write.




David




P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!




Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.




Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life! I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week. Amen.





Comments

Popular Posts