Enough, Benin, And Other Dredmeds Wearing A Looner Suit



Okay, today's title is the first word I spoke, the first word I read, and the first word I coined (a portmanteau – look it up – of dreadful and medicines) make up today's title. The first of 2014. And one of my resolutions (unscramble looner suit; I thought our daughter Sarah had guessed that puzzler right but the weasel looked at the answer on my Peanuts desk calendar this morning) is to finish what I have started! You could almost call that my Will Scarlet resolution – from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, when he says that after revealing himself to be Robin's half-brother – and I know that I have several books that I have begun to write that I have promised many people that I would finish. But most of all I need to keep that promise to myself.



And I mean no disrespect to anyone from the west African nation I refer to today which is west of Nigeria and east of Ghana and Togo. But let us take a moment to lament our geographic ignorance before we proceed to Somalia on the opposite coast, the point of the Horn of Africa east of Ethiopia that has not had a “working” (the quotes mean that is open to interpretation, at least by me) government in two decades, at least according to the Motley Fool article I opened this morning and both Sarah and Jeffrey shot up their hands to read after breakfast! Sarah was a wee bit faster so she got to read “The 3 Most Corrupt Countries in the World”. According to Transparency International, it's a three-way tie between Somalia, North Korea, and Afghanistan for dead last.






So I said we're not headed to any of those places in the near future … For New Year's Day here we slept in – yes, Virginia, even I did, until shortly after ten in the morning! Nobody had to go to work, nobody had to be anywhere, and the only time we left the house yesterday was when Martha took Sarah to spend some of her Christmas money at our local Kmart in the afternoon, just as I did with Jeffrey Sunday afternoon at the same store. On the way back home, the girls decided to get ice cream and since where they had planned to go was closed, they called us at home a second time and offered to bring us to Burger King, where we got ice cream and Sarah and I got their off-the-menu bacon sundaes! You must have one before you die, but make sure it's not too many times a year …



New Year's Eve after work I met Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and our sister Mary at our local Perkins where kids 10 and under get to eat free with paying adults on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Dinner was great, and we have really funny kids – at one point Jeffrey said that he wanted to sit by one of the girls and I burst out, “Wait, Sarah's not a girl?” (The kids tend to be funny about who gets to sit next to Martha when she is with us.) Then we got home and watched The Smurfs 2 … at least Martha and the kids did, for I fell asleep through an hour of it, that Captain's Catch is quite filling.



And on that note, I'm taking off! David

Comments

Popular Posts