14,000,605 To 1

Sixteen years ago ...

Colossians 4:1-6                                   May 7
kids' concert in Garrison                      10205.07

Let your [ways] be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how to answer every man. 6

The seasoning with salt is especially hard for me; sometimes I want nothing more than a good scrap because it's hard not to feel used or to want to hurt someone because they seem to enjoy hurting me. Show me some grace I can show others, Jesus.

And you thought Threepio could calculate long odds! Now by the numbers:

14,000,605. Sunday after church the girls and boys of my household split up to watch different movies out at local movie theatres. Martha and Sarah went to Oak Park Theatre, our local discount theatre ($3 admission and the concessions are not expensive either) to see Peter Rabbit while Jeffrey and I went to our local AMC -- formerly Carmike Cinema -- to take in Avengers: Infinity War. And you DO have to take it in, it's quite an experience.

The number comes from a line late in the movie where Doctor Strange says he searched that many probable futures to find an outcome where he, the Avengers, Spider-Man, and the Guardians of the Galaxy win and keep Thanos from using the Infinity Gauntlet to wipe out half the population of the universe. (Even viewing one future a second, that's quite a while.) When the Sorcerer Supreme is asked  in how many of those futures do the heroes win, he admits he only found one.

208. THIS is how many days I've worked at Trinity Health 's Materials Management warehouse counting today. I can't lie, I have found parts of the job ... not as easy as I expected them to be. But I do not want to give up, no matter what restrictions I may have to operate under. I haven't been able to drive the courier vehicle up to the hospital due to a seizure I had in January and the truck to deliver carts longer than that. Sometimes I question whether my co-workers at the warehouse,

21 of them including me, will want me to ever again. I have to remind myself day by day that it truly is, in the phrasing of The Apprentice, nothing personal. It's just business. This is far from the hardest job I've ever had, I know that, I pray that those around me are not seeing more than someone who, to paraphrase me sixteen years ago, loves a good scrap. For in that case I would be an even greater jerk than I believe some say I am.

1 future,

David

Comments

Popular Posts