Are You A Pushy Stage Mom?

It was Monday night after we were all home, the kids from school, me from work, and Martha ... who's got the week off from work so she can get the kids to and from school (as opposed to Martha's parents Robert and Sharon who are at a Navy reunion in New Orleans this week) among other things, and she came across an article on the Internet about the original Mickey Mouse Club. One of the points that article made was that when The Mickey Mouse Club was originally being cast was finding kids who had the chutzpah -- ok, that's my word for it -- to be someone who wasn't already a celebrity and likewise didn't have a "pushy stage mom" wanting them to be on-camera when they didn't.

Cue Jeffrey asking Martha today's title question.

He was sitting with her when she was reading the article. I laughed because I knew he'd ask this, and then Martha replied that if she was [a pushy stage mom], she'd make him stay in choir. Last Sunday Jeffrey asked to quit the carol choir because he says he doesn't like going in front of church to sing, which he doesn't even have to do most of the time! I expect that's not the only reason, but right now it's now worth pressing. I have no right to expect ambition or "stage presence" from my kids when I'M not exhibiting it myself.

Monday was a Monday.

And other self-evident truths ... seriously, it often feels like no matter what I'm learning and applying at my new job in materials management at Trinity, that I cannot satisfy one person without pissing off two others. And one person finally told me that she was fed up with my waving my hands at her, something I didn't even realize I was doing. And this is a person who will NOT accept apologies ... it's hard to believe there are people like this, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

I attempt to do there what our parents always said, don't speak unless spoken to.

But that doesn't seem to work so well when you are an (alleged) adult. And in light of my own personality it's hard for me to not talk without seeming standoffish or ask questions without seeming condescending. But like the main character of H.G. Wells' novel The Time Machine, I'm probably over-analyzing this.

There are moments I see my life now as that story, and I'm a Morlock.

David

Comments

Popular Posts