After Dinner And A Movie

Twenty-four years ago ...

Acts 8:26-40.                           September 12

245 DAYS TO GRADUATION!
255th DAY OF 1993!

When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord suddenly took Philip away, and the eunuch did not see him again, but went on his way rejoicing. 39

When I look into the future (which is something everyone should do once in a while), I see myself with my son. His name is Philip Robert Alvin. I draw the inspiration for that from Philip the disciple of Jesus, Philip the apostle (the protagonist of this passage), and Philip IV, king of Spain in its Golden Age. Robert Alvin is, of course, my father. If I can do half the job with my children that my parents did with me, they will be happy children and wise.

[And that's just one page; the next six have so many notes on national anniversaries, birthdays, and sermon notes -- today in 1993 was a Sunday -- that I would need a separate blog entry to go through them all!]

But on to bigger and better things ... you who know me from being here know that my son is Jeffrey Robert Alvin (Martha got to choose his name because I got to choose Sarah's, which came to me in a dream many years later) and the little guy got to have his top right tooth taken out yesterday for his dentist feared if it stayed as it was it would cause his adult tooth to go bad. I can appreciate his not wanting to talk much after it, any more than Martha did when SHE had a tooth extracted last week by her dentist in roughly the same area and needed to be careful how she chewed because it hurt so all weekend!

Oh that I could take their pain upon myself.

She couldn't even dig into the popcorn or drink with a straw the way the kids and I could when we watched The Emoji Movie Saturday after she got off work at Burger King for the last time. Yep, now for Martha and I our incomes (for now) will both be coming from Trinity Health, just from different departments. And as I come to the middle of my eleventh week -- again, when am I going to stop counting like that? -- working in the warehouse, I am finding that along with the days I come home feeling like Charlie Brown, I come home on days like today feeling like Snoopy.

And no, that does not make me a dog!

PALERS. That's how I chose to remember the floors/rooms I had to count at Trinity Hospital today, an acronym for PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit), Anesthesia, Laboratory, ETC-2 (Emergency Trauma Care, 2nd floor), and by counting those fast enough I wanted to get my co-workers' respect by showing my speed. Obviously that's not the only thing they need from me, but I find that if I'm not getting that right it makes any kind of relationship with the others there that much harder.

Especially on Mondays and Fridays, but I digress.

Yesterday I finished Kenzaburo Oe's novel An Echo of Heaven (ISBN 4770019866; translated by Margaret Mitsutani) originally published in Japanese ... at least, it reads as a novel. The narrator known as K in the story tells of his encounters with the mysterious Marie Kuraki many times over the years, paralleling his and her life with various literary discoveries.

Jeez, these Nobel Prize for Literature winners can be hard to explain, even after you read them!

He won in 1994. A safe bet is I won't be a contender on any nomination lists, but that won't be known if I remember correctly until fifty years afterward. But much soone than that -- tomorrow night, in fact -- Jeffrey's starting church school for the year. AKA Sunday School without the day.

And I haven't forgotten Sarah . . . she's doing great, and so am I in spite of it all.

David




Comments

Popular Posts